40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
wow... the city really seems to be getting its act together on a number of fronts! I think the David Miller era will be remembered as a golden age for Toronto.

Thanks! Those last two photos really clarify for me what is being done. This will be a big improvement for the area traffic flow. Won't this project widen the underpass, potentially increasing the barrier (psychologically at least) between Queen west and Parkdale? I hope that this project really improves the pedestrian realm under there, including wide sidewalks and good lighting. Will there be a GO stop accessible from this area like there is near Dundas West and Bloor?

There's no widening of the underpass - it will just add a north/south component. And there will be all sorts of improvements, including a park on the west side.

This is one project I am *very* excited about. Can't wait!

Oh, and once this is done, they can finally bring the rail path down to Queen and King! That's a bike lane that no motorists can get upset about.

Oh, and once this is done, they can finally bring the rail path down to Queen and King! That's a bike lane that no motorists can get upset about.

The underpass will include bike lanes as well, though Dufferin Street north and south of the underpass will continue to have the same current width.

The underpass will remain 6 tracks with this project but before the widest span held 5 tracks (because one bridge was on its own on the east side) and now the widest span will hold 6 tracks. There will likely be a project to add more tracks to this structure in the coming years. The Georgetown South EA has 8 tracks through this area and funding recently announced (long after this project started) allocates money to be spent on this structure as well as Dupont, Bloor, Lansdowne and Brock. Knowing the bridges at those locations can already 5 at Bloor and Dupont, 6 at Lansdowne, 7 at Brock, and 6 on this structure it seems obvious that they are targeting the full build out specified in the EA which is 6 at Bloor and Dupont, 8 at Lansdowne, Brock, and 8 on this structure which has been built for 6 tracks plus a pedestrian component originally.

Oh, and don't count on bike paths until the Georgetown South project has significantly progressed. There is space in the corridor for the bike paths but the space on the bridges will be more than used up by the Georgetown South project.

So, I understand that the pillars in the middle of the northbound right of way are temporary. That is the only way they would make sense.

And yes, we will yet see that the Miller years have been a golden age. Here's hoping that Dalton McGuinty restores the full Transit City funding in the Election Year budgegt so that it (Transit City) can continue on as planned

Thanks for the input. Is there or will there be a GO stop accessible from this new bridge?

Thanks for the input. Is there or will there be a GO stop accessible from this new bridge?

historically there was a train station but there is no stop for GO nor is one currently planned.

Back