News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Wow. Just wow. If you knew anything about this fire and the aftermath, you'd realize that this is one of the most ignorant things ever posted on urbantornto.

This would have turned out so much better if they had used red brick instead of yellow and multi-pane double-hung windows instead of the fixed single pane (would be more energy efficient also).

Overall it turned out better than expected and better than many of the neighboring heritage buildings that have been terribly defaced over the years, for example, look at the eyesore directly west of this building with the ugly replacement windows (so typical of Toronto :mad: )

I'm willing to eat a bit of crow on this one. I walked by it yesterday and was astonished that it wasn't the awful vanilla stucco monster that the render suggested it would be. Red brick would have been nicer, but it actually looks pretty good and somewhat reminds me of the building a block to the east that houses Tattoo Rock Parlour, which is also a yellowish brick. Not every building on Queen has to be red brick - a bit of variety makes the streetwall more interesting.

Has anyone heard of anything happening with the rest of the fire site?

Once the Portland street condos are occupied it will really change the feel of the area.

Wow. Just wow. If you knew anything about this fire and the aftermath, you'd realize that this is one of the most ignorant things ever posted on urbantornto.

Its not ignorant, its possible. Do you happen to know the cause of the fire? It has been deemed suspicious, so what is to say they didn't have a hand in it? I am not being entirely serious, however one could imagine...Not sure this is the most ignorant comment ever posted on ut....Whatever the case, its back up and thats that!

p5

According to this Star article from 2008 the fire marshal concluded that the fire started east of Dukes on the main floor of National Sound and the fire's cause was deemed "undetermined".

I walked passed the building today on my way to a delicious lunch at Gandi's Roti and also thought that the facade turned out much better than the rendering.

Its not ignorant, its possible. Do you happen to know the cause of the fire? It has been deemed suspicious, so what is to say they didn't have a hand in it? I am not being entirely serious, however one could imagine...Not sure this is the most ignorant comment ever posted on ut....Whatever the case, its back up and thats that!

p5

The fire started five buildings over. People could have died, but luckily all got out. The Dukes building had been in the family for generations, and they were really attached to it. The destruction of the Dukes building meant they lost the cap on their commercial property taxes, and if I recall they about doubled in the new building. To even hint at culpability when so many have lost so much is just mind-blowing in the level of casual irresponsibility.

Last edited:
April 03 shot from the streetcar
5588260166_5991edc0c3_b.jpg

I hate to be pessimistic but given what has happened to the other rebuilt building across the gap and what we can see scribbled on the side of the Duke's building, that bright yellow façade is ripe for graffiti and in no time some of the forumers here will get their wish of having the yellow brick painted a darker colour.

One major improvement over the rendering is the fact that they cut down on the precast, or at least used precast brick. It has turned out to be an elegant building, but one that looks more fitting for St. Lawrence's classical aesthetic than Queen West.

^ Need not worry. It'll soon acquire West Queen West's grit. Dirt and graffiti will take care of making it blend in.

Back