News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There is a proposal for a 29-story condo at 1540 Bloor Street West, next door to the Dundas West Subway Station. See link.

35351-119324.jpeg

Maybe the powers-that-be could get together in which a development that includes "a" condo and "an" expanded Dundas West Bloor Mobility Hub that includes streetcar routes (plural) expansion.

There is a proposal for a 29-story condo at 1540 Bloor Street West, next door to the Dundas West Subway Station. See link.
Maybe the powers-that-be could get together in which a development that includes "a" condo and "an" expanded Dundas West Bloor Mobility Hub that includes streetcar routes (plural) expansion.

Who actually influences these types of decisions? Seems like a reasonable “give to get”that would benefit the whole community for years to come...

^It will probably be approved without the City having much leverage to extract much from the developer.
- Next to a mobility hub is exactly where one would want the density and height, likely to get a positive reaction at LPAT
- Crossways sets the precedent for hirise at that intersection
- Section 37 payments might be agreed to, but would City Council have the sense to use them for such a purpose, and the money might not stretch as far as needed

I haven’t looked up the proposal on line, but unless they are asking for some concessions to zoning eg parking, relief from affordable housing, etc I imagine it will sail through.

Personally I would like to see the 504/505 extended up Dundas Street, primarily as a solution to the lack of layover capacity for streetcars..... let them loop furter up, and just run through the subway station....or build an on street portal like the old pre-1966 Yonge/Bloor streetcar stop. Expensive solution, yes, but I hate seeing streetcars held out on Dundas because the loop is full.

- Paul

Last edited:
The McCaul Loop uses a couple of floors of a low-rise, so why can't the Dundas West Station use a couple of floors of a high-rise?

ttc_mccaulloop.jpg

From link.

(For the buses routes, use all-electric buses.)

The McCaul Loop uses a couple of floors of a low-rise, so why can't the Dundas West Station use a couple of floors of a high-rise?

ttc_mccaulloop.jpg

From link.

(For the buses routes, use all-electric buses.)
Mount Pleasant Loop too!

Great point. I would think this is good for developers and good for home owners. Win. Win.

But why spend all the money buying land? Plus the development is already going ahead...too late in the day to change it.

Build a similar sized building on top of the existing loop. Plus find a developer that owns some land on Bloor so the building is larger and includes an at-grade connection to Bloor.

But why spend all the money buying land? Plus the development is already going ahead...too late in the day to change it.

Build a similar sized building on top of the existing loop. Plus find a developer that owns some land on Bloor so the building is larger and includes an at-grade connection to Bloor.

As long as there is no wrecking ball nor digging of a foundation, plans still can be changed.

An underground loop would be extremely expensive, and I think the opportunity to consider that ends if it's not a part of the Choice redevelopment, since that's the best opportunity to widen the street to fit a portal. Building a loop into the ground floor of a building would not solve the access issue which the Mobility Hub proposed to solve unless the TTC sold off the air rights to Dundas West and moved the access point to Edna Ave. If you're a developer, maybe you take a look at that, but we've been waiting a long time for something to happen with the Giraffe building and not a whisper of discussions to include Dundas West into that project. And if you're looking at building exclusively on top of the station, are you going to rush to do that at the same time as the many new buildings proposed within a km?

Does it happen eventually? Maybe one day. I just don't see it as likely within the next decade at least.

Dusting off an old thread here.

Is there any movement with this project? Last I heard was that construction is supposed to start in late 2020 and we’re now halfway through the year.

Dusting off an old thread here.

Is there any movement with this project? Last I heard was that construction is supposed to start in late 2020 and we’re now halfway through the year.
Though not all postings on UT are accurate, one thing you can depend on is that if a project starts (or appears to start) someone will report it. If there have been no updates it's a VERY good assumption that nothing has happened.

I contacted Metrolinx last week about the tunnel connecting Dundas West subway station with Bloor GO and was sent this email:

"Preliminary design and site investigations were completed at the end of March 2020. Detailed design has commenced and is now scheduled to be complete by early 2021, after added site survey and preliminary design work delayed the start of detailed design. Following design work, the project will be tendered for construction in mid-2021, with completion of construction expected during Spring 2023."

8 years behind schedule but the wheels are a-turning.

I contacted Metrolinx last week about the tunnel connecting Dundas West subway station with Bloor GO and was sent this email:

"Preliminary design and site investigations were completed at the end of March 2020. Detailed design has commenced and is now scheduled to be complete by early 2021, after added site survey and preliminary design work delayed the start of detailed design. Following design work, the project will be tendered for construction in mid-2021, with completion of construction expected during Spring 2023."

8 years behind schedule but the wheels are a-turning.

In toronto land thats considered par for the course

In toronto land thats considered par for the course
Heck, that's lightning speed! Normally something like this would drag on for 15 years, before all the studies came to an end...and another cycle of studies would then start named "The Dundas West/Bloor Mobilitiy Hub Reset Plan". Because you know, the initial 15 years of studies wouldnt have been comprehensive enough.

Back