News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think this building at Dundas W & Palmerston used to have red brick.

20210814_114347.jpg
20210814_114414.jpg

Some work being done at the corner of DW & Claremont where Pho 668 used to be at:

20210814_114722.jpg

New pair of semi detach houses being built a bit east of Trinity Bellwoods Park:

20210814_115153.jpg

A bit east of Dufferin, the front paint job and balcony railings on this building looks new:

20210814_121106.jpg

Further along westward, the restoration job on this building a bit east of St. Clarens (near Lansdowne) is looking pretty good:

20210814_123257.jpg
20210814_123316.jpg

These are old pics from May when they're still working interiors, but Lola's Coffee is now officially open along Brock Ave, a couple blocks south of Dundas:

20210529_101350.jpg
20210529_101405.jpg

OMG Baked Goodness on Dundas W just west of Sheridan Ave has closed after 12 years at that location. However, they are working towards something new in the future: "This is not the end of OMG- just our chapter at this location. The next (delicious) chapter is VERY exciting, so stick around until we can share the details with you."

OMG Baked Goodness on Dundas W just west of Sheridan Ave has closed after 12 years at that location. However, they are working towards something new in the future: "This is not the end of OMG- just our chapter at this location. The next (delicious) chapter is VERY exciting, so stick around until we can share the details with you."

I went there several times over the last 6 years. While the products offered were quite good, I was rather annoyed by the semi-ambivalent attitude of the staff. One guy in particular, who I think was the co-owner, always looked kind of annoyed when we'd come in, barely managing to avoid an eye roll. Seemed like an anti-social person. 2 weeks ago we went in with our 3 year old toddler, who excitedly touched the glass display cases to point out which cookies he wanted. While most (normal) people are taken aback by the toddler's overwhelming cuteness, this caused a mildly surly, valley-girlish comment from the guy while not even making eye contact with us, "can you...like...not touch the glass?"

It baffles me how basic friendliness is sometimes not followed by those whose livelihoods depend on decent customer service and a positive reputation for their business. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Good riddance.

I went there several times over the last 6 years. While the products offered were quite good, I was rather annoyed by the semi-ambivalent attitude of the staff. One guy in particular, who I think was the co-owner, always looked kind of annoyed when we'd come in, barely managing to avoid an eye roll. Seemed like an anti-social person. 2 weeks ago we went in with our 3 year old toddler, who excitedly touched the glass display cases to point out which cookies he wanted. While most (normal) people are taken aback by the toddler's overwhelming cuteness, this caused a mildly surly, valley-girlish comment from the guy while not even making eye contact with us, "can you...like...not touch the glass?"

It baffles me how basic friendliness is sometimes not followed by those whose livelihoods depend on decent customer service and a positive reputation for their business. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Good riddance.

Yeah, customer service certainly goes a long way in leaving a lasting impression. Different place nearby but when my cousin from New York brought his wife and kids over to visit a couple years ago, they booked an Airbnb in the area and went to Gayley's Cafe for brunch. However, they were not impressed by the slow service. I think their food finally arrived after an hour, and their total time spent there was close to 2 hours.

Although, they did go to the Good Fork at the base of the newish rental building at Dundas & Sheridan on another day, and that was a much better experience according to them.

Yeah, customer service certainly goes a long way in leaving a lasting impression. Different place nearby but when my cousin from New York brought his wife and kids over to visit a couple years ago, they booked an Airbnb in the area and went to Gayley's Cafe for brunch. However, they were not impressed by the slow service. I think their food finally arrived after an hour, and their total time spent there was close to 2 hours.

Although, they did go to the Good Fork at the base of the newish rental building at Dundas & Sheridan on another day, and that was a much better experience according to them.

Ah, Gayley's. Been there several times too. I really love the coziness of the interior, and the food was decent (if a bit overpriced compared to the breakfast spot right next door), but now that you mention it, the service was too slow. It's also a place that's about to close for good - coincidence? 😆

I'm not surprised to hear this. I have a friend who interviewed for a job here and was left with a bad taste in their mouth by the way they were treated by the owner. I lived just down the street for 3+ years but never gave them my business.

Last edited:

1490 DUNDAS ST W
Ward 9: Davenport

Proposed ground floor grocery store. Expansion of grocery store under construction at 1492 Dundas st w with one residential unit on the second floor and one on the third floor.

---------
Looks like the mentioned grocery store will be for these two ground retail units in the middle here, on the northside of Dundas just west of Dufferin:

dunda.JPG

1490 DUNDAS ST W
Ward 9: Davenport

Proposed ground floor grocery store. Expansion of grocery store under construction at 1492 Dundas st w with one residential unit on the second floor and one on the third floor.

---------
Looks like the mentioned grocery store will be for these two ground retail units in the middle here, on the northside of Dundas just west of Dufferin:

View attachment 374425

About friggin' time. That row of retail units has been sitting empty for a long time...

About friggin' time. That row of retail units has been sitting empty for a long time...

For a while, I've been curious if there was potential for those properties at the corner to be absorbed into the future developments of the former funeral home and the parking lot north along Dufferin. But it seems clear now that they'll be separate. I don't mind though as long as they're put to good use.

For a while, I've been curious if there was potential for those properties at the corner to be absorbed into the future developments of the former funeral home and the parking lot north along Dufferin. But it seems clear now that they'll be separate. I don't mind though as long as they're put to good use.

The corner unit had a cool hipstery restaurant for a while, but has been empty now since what, 2015?? Clearly landlord greed. Didn't the city introduce a vacant commercial unit tax recently to discourage this sort of thing?

The corner unit had a cool hipstery restaurant for a while, but has been empty now since what, 2015?? Clearly landlord greed. Didn't the city introduce a vacant commercial unit tax recently to discourage this sort of thing?

Yeah, the Hogtown Cure was its name and 2015 or 2016ish when it closed sounds about right. None of the other corners at Dufferin & Dundas have had extended periods of retail vacancy recently so something definitely seems like an issue with this landlord's leasing prices or initiatives.

Last edited:
Cozy, under-the-radar hipster bar 1602 (on Dundas) has re-opened as Mama's Liquor. The interior looks exactly the same as before...

Cozy, under-the-radar hipster bar 1602 (on Dundas) has re-opened as Mama's Liquor. The interior looks exactly the same as before...

I haven't been there before but the interiors on Google images looks nice. My favourite bar along Dundas is still EL Ruddy, just east of Beaconsfield.

Back