steinbergs.jpg

plaza.jpg

plaza3.jpg

brewers.jpg

humbertown2.jpg

hunts.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing photos, deepend.

There's something very prescient about this development, as if they could foreshadow the McMansion and retro Mansardian schlock of the 1990s and 2000s:

subdiv.jpg

Great shots. Funny how the cars look ancient compared to the modern look of the buildings. The opposite of much of the new building in the burbs today.

Amazing photos, deepend.

There's something very prescient about this development, as if they could foreshadow the McMansion and retro Mansardian schlock of the 1990s and 2000s:

subdiv.jpg

i was quite surprised by those images as well. this development does seem like a very early example of the historicism that started to dominate in the 70's, especially the shingled mansard. the juxtaposition with the early 1960's cars is very striking...

I see a great opportunity for a Then & Now followup on this thread. Here's looking at you Mustapha :)

Hoo boy CityPlaceN1, that's a lot of work. In the suburbs too. :( Some are obvious like Humbertown. Most of these are a mystery to me. The archive notes for these pics say they are in Etobicoke but where?

If anyone can ID some of these streets, that would be great. I work in Mississauga but live in TO and can swing by after work to do pic taking.

I've actually already done the Steinbergs supermarket one - the old picture of the parking lot with a tree in the middle.

Thanks thedeepend!

Hoo boy CityPlaceN1, that's a lot of work. In the suburbs too. :( Some are obvious like Humbertown. Most of these are a mystery to me. The archive notes for these pics say they are in Etobicoke but where?

If anyone can ID some of these streets, that would be great. I work in Mississauga but live in TO and can swing by after work to do pic taking.

mustapha--i promise i am not posting these to create extra work for you! your before and after thread must already seem like a part time job!

btw most of these are a mystery to me as well--since they were carving these developments out of a rural context, there are obviously next to no landmarks to orient oneself...

that said, i am going to go back over the records to see if i can pin point them a bit better...

These two are Parkwoods Plaza on York Mills just east of the DVP.

s1464_fl0005_id0022.jpg

s1464_fl0004_id0016.jpg

Last edited:
thanks Anna!

according to that link this one below is a:

"small row of shops built between 1954-1955, on the north side of Evans Avenue, to the south-east of the intersection of Kipling Avenue and the Queensway. The buildings continue to be used for retail purposes today."

evans.jpg

here's the other one from that link:

"This small retail complex was constructed in 1963 and today survives as part of Bloordale Plaza. These structures are located to the south of the intersection of Burnhamthorpe Road and The West Mall, west of Highway 427, and adjacent to the Etobicoke Civic Centre."

bloordale.jpg

that's a good looking banking pavillion. so sleak and modern.

Anna, thanks. I 'll try to get to these locations.

Bayview Village - in its open air incarnation - I only went once or twice as a toddler, and those images don't recall for me. If any UTers know of parents or older folks who might recognize the other mystery pics, please let us know.

If anyone beats me to it - taking pics of the modern locations - my nose won't be out of joint, I promise.

thedeepend - in a way it is kind of a part-time job.:) I post one location daily so that means at least a couple of hours on a weekend. I usually do it at a fast clip so it's like cardio for me.

Last edited:

Back