39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

jozl

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
The south side of Queens Quay East of Yonge is finally getting developed. The improved pedestrian walkway along the lake, south of the newly completed buildings, is a beautiful and much needed improvement to the city’s public realm. Unfortunately, the areas just north of the new buildings (eg. the Corus Building and George Brown College) are separated from the street with parking lots. Is this the paradigm that will be copied along the entire south side of Queens Quay? Parking lots that separate the new neighbourhood from the street? Will Queens Quay look like a suburban thoroughfare when complete? Any thoughts?

The south side of Queens Quay East of Yonge is finally getting developed. The improved pedestrian walkway along the lake, south of the newly completed buildings, is a beautiful and much needed improvement to the city’s public realm. Unfortunately, the areas just north of the new buildings (eg. the Corus Building and George Brown College) are separated from the street with parking lots. Is this the paradigm that will be copied along the entire south side of Queens Quay? Parking lots that separate the new neighbourhood from the street? Will Queens Quay look like a suburban thoroughfare when complete? Any thoughts?
Where have you been? The south side of Queens Quay east of Yonge has been moving ahead for several years. Look at the WT plans (and individual and Lower Yonge Precinct Plan threads here) for details - surface parking lots are not permanent. The eventual QQE will look like QQW - well, that's the plan!

The Tower at Pier 27 is replacing the parking lot at the foot of Yonge.

The Waterfront "Innovation" Centre will fill the parking lot in front of Corus Quay.

The Arbour will go in the lot north of George Brown.

Queens Quay Place and new affordable housing will fill the gap between Aqualina and Aqualuna.

To the east beyond that, there's Sidewalk Toronto, Victory Soya Mills, and 3C Waterfront.

I think that covers pretty much every parking lot south of Queens Quay on the eastern waterfront, not counting the port lands.

YEESH! I really stepped on a big one. Well, thanks for the replies. I’m happy the parking lots are temporary. So, I guess this thread can be axed.

Where have you been? The south side of Queens Quay east of Yonge has been moving ahead for several years. Look at the WT plans (and individual and Lower Yonge Precinct Plan threads here) for details - surface parking lots are not permanent. The eventual QQE will look like QQW - well, that's the plan!
The plan is for it to be much better than QQW! And right now, it looks like it will be, if they can just get funding for the LRT.

YEESH! I really stepped on a big one. Well, thanks for the replies. I’m happy the parking lots are temporary. So, I guess this thread can be axed.

My word, can you imagine they were permanent!? hahahaaa.....man, you must have been stressed out just thinking about it when you started this thread.
That would have been a crime against city planning.

Isn't there already a general thread for East Bayfront? Why do we need a separate thread for one question?

Isn't there already a general thread for East Bayfront? Why do we need a separate thread for one question?

Personally, I think this thread is hilarious because of the horror caused by one person's confusion about something and should enjoy permanence as a testament to how bad our city planning sometimes is and has been that it could cause this question about surface parking along the lake to be asked.

Personally, I think this thread is hilarious because of the horror caused by one person's confusion about something and should enjoy permanence as a testament to how bad our city planning sometimes is and has been that it could cause this question about surface parking along the lake to be asked.

I don't think the fact that East Bayfront is not yet fully built out is a testament to bad planning. Any time we see a vacant lot, with or without parking, is it reasonable to assume that the Planning department determined that was the best use of the site, or to blame Planning because it hasn't yet been built out? Good grief.

Anyway, this is not the place to debate it. After this, I will respond in the actual thread for this.

I don't think the fact that East Bayfront is not yet fully built out is a testament to bad planning. Any time we see a vacant lot, with or without parking, is it reasonable to assume that the Planning department determined that was the best use of the site, or to blame Planning because it hasn't yet been built out? Good grief.

Anyway, this is not the place to debate it. After this, I will respond in the actual thread for this.

Easy there.

I was saying that the OP hilariously assumed the parking lots were permanent and that that confusion on the OP's part is a testament to our city's planning. I wasn't saying the lots themselves are.

Easy there.

I was saying that the OP hilariously assumed the parking lots were permanent and that that confusion on the OP's part is a testament to our city's planning. I wasn't saying the lots themselves are.

That was my point. How possibly is it a testament to our city's planning?

Public Notice
East Bayfront Community Open House Meeting

a0c6dda4-ce11-4f88-8d73-21d4595837ec.jpg

West-facing aerial view of East Bayfront and downtown Toronto.

Waterfront Toronto and the City of Toronto invite you to join us on Tuesday, June 11 for an East Bayfront community open house meeting. This meeting will provide updates on a number of ongoing projects in the area including parks and public spaces, Bayside development, stormwater and sanitary sewer infrastructure, Queens Quay East transit, upcoming road construction, future community services, and more.

This meeting will be an informal, drop-in format where community members are invited to visit a series of information boards and speak with project subject matter experts to learn more. No formal presentations will be held. Councillor Joe Cressy will be in attendance at the start of the meeting.

Public Meeting Details
Date: Tuesday, June 11, 2019
Time: 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Location: St. Lawrence Temporary Market, 125 The Esplanade, Toronto, ON M5E 1C3
TTC: 121 Fort York-Esplanade Bus to The Esplanade at Lower Jarvis
Accessibility: Wheelchair accessibility is at the main entrance off The Esplanade.

For additional information, call (416) 214-1344 x301 or email info@waterfrontoronto.ca

For a printable version of this notice, please click here.

The block on north side of QQE just west of Small Street does not appear to have a thread so, in the interim I post this here:

The whole block is fenced off with a Lions Demolition machine on site.

Application Detail​

Application:
Demolition Folder (DM)
Permit Issued
TORONTO ON M5A 4K9
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York
Application#:
23 177689 DEM 00 DM
Issued Date:
Sep 14, 2023
Project:
Office
Work:
Demolition
Description:
TOTAL DEMOLITION OF BUILDING

Inspection Process​

This is THIS block

1701625665193.png

The block on north side of QQE just west of Small Street does not appear to have a thread so, in the interim I post this here:

The whole block is fenced off with a Lions Demolition machine on site.

Application Detail​

Application:
Demolition Folder (DM)
Permit Issued
TORONTO ON M5A 4K9
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York
Application#:
23 177689 DEM 00 DM
Issued Date:
Sep 14, 2023
Project:
Office
Work:
Demolition
Description:
TOTAL DEMOLITION OF BUILDING

Inspection Process​

This is THIS block

View attachment 524475

This is Quayside. Belongs in that that thread.

The general thread is here:

Looks like this belongs to Block 2......

Reactions: DSC

Back