News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

East Village: Success, or a long ways away yet?

• Successful now

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Will be successful in 5 years

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Will be successful in 10 years

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Won't ever be successful

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A recent discussion on Twitter regarding the success of East Village has prompted me to start a thread with a poll.

Success of course is relative, so in some people's minds EV could still be a long way from being fully successful, for others, the sheer fact that it has improved greatly in a short time could be considered success. What's your opinion?

A few pics that I have taken recently

ev3.jpg ev2.jpg ev1.jpg ev4.jpg

Attachments

• ev3.jpg
    ev3.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 397
  • ev2.jpg
    ev2.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 382
  • ev1.jpg
    ev1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 399
  • ev4.jpg
    ev4.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
You said it, "Success is of course relative." I'm a life long Calgarian, but I'm young enough never to have known the previous incarnation of the EV in its more prosperous times. I'll never forget taking a wrong turn near the St. Louis when I was fairly new driver 10-12 years ago and seeing a crowd of crack heads and drunks shambling around the cul-de-sac like they were a pack of zombies. Not very PC of me, but then I'm not very PC. You had to have experienced it for yourself, that is the only way I can describe what I saw.

So, in my lifetime I've seen the East Village go from dilapidated no-go zone to moon scape as most of the buildings were abandoned, levelled or both. Now to see promising new life brought to what little remains of that old world and to see a handful of elegant (if largely monochromatic) new towers rise out of the wasteland, you have to call it a success. Even if everything froze as it was and no new development occurred for years to come, you'd still have to call it a success. I really hope that's not the case obviously. The future of the neighbourhood is quite exciting. Once the Green Line is running nearby, once the library and other amenities are in place, once the improvements to the Stampede Grounds are complete, once the river walk and other park space is complete and once the remaining empty lots fill in we're going to see the East Village as one of the jewels of our city.

It won't just be another Kensington or 17th ave, areas that have plenty to be recommended for, the East Village is going to shift the focus of the city back to it's source at the confluence of the Bow and Elbow. So much of what makes our city great and what makes Calgarians proud of our home will either be in the East Village or immediately adjacent to it. (Inglewood, the zoo, the commercial core, the Stampede grounds and the performing arts centres to name a few, along with many new establishments are all going to be right there.)

Which leads me to one little quibble. East Village is a dumb name for something so pivotal.

^Couldn't agree more Oddball, you said everything I was going to say. Even though it's still a work in progress, the area already feels revitalized, the area is busy, the river walk way is getting well used. I have no qualms about going for a bike ride through there. 5 years ago, that would not be the case. Hard not to consider it a success.

I voted for successful now. When I first heard they were developing the area, I thought it would take 30 years to build up. Too many crack heads and hookers to deal with lol. I'm shocked at how good it's done, but also very happy. I hope the best for it.

I voted for the 10 year option. Relatively speaking EV has already been highly successful, but I think we'll all have to wait a few years to see whether it meets or even exceeds the master plan.

I voted 'now' but success is a relative term. In some ways it's like Disreali point of view where there is a master plan, so really that's the benchmark. In other ways, it seems far better than I expected.

I choose success now but I think 5 years out is s better choice. East village is great now but will hit the mark when the library, n3, nmc, and Verve are done

5 years, for sure, and even today you could argue that it is successful. I was down at EV earlier today and it was buzzing with people. People of all types and ages, etc... Don't forget the Embassy Bosa project with the Loblaws is also going in.

5 years, for sure, and even today you could argue that it is successful. I was down at EV earlier today and it was buzzing with people. People of all types and ages, etc... Don't forget the Embassy Bosa project with the Loblaws is also going in.
I could see how people would call it a success today, as it does have a nice busy feel to it. Once the current projects are completed, we will get a really good sense of how the neighbourhood will be.

I choose success now but I think 5 years out is s better choice. East village is great now but will hit the mark when the library, n3, nmc, and Verve are done

In 5 years it'll be undoubtedly successful. Even finioshing the current projects of NMC, Library, Verve, N3, Hilton, and the Shops at Arris, that is enough to carry the neighbourhood and call it a success IMO. If EV gets That Hat, ALT Hotel and INK added into the mix even better.

Back