News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

280990533_171465185245117_7216602875421007619_n.jpg

I know sometimes we gripe about the slow progress on the east side of downtown, but looking through these pictures really shows that it has progressed a lot. Of all the neighbourhoods in Calgary East Village is the one that has progressed the most in the last five years.

I know sometimes we gripe about the slow progress on the east side of downtown, but looking through these pictures really shows that it has progressed a lot. Of all the neighbourhoods in Calgary East Village is the one that has progressed the most in the last five years.
The past 5-7 years have been phenomenal, but the next 5 look to be slower. I still like the future of EV, but it's going to go at a bit slower pace for the next bit.

The past 5-7 years have been phenomenal, but the next 5 look to be slower. I still like the future of EV, but it's going to go at a bit slower pace for the next bit.
The new condo market has been essentially dead for the last five years but I could see that turning around and fueling the development of the remaining parcels in next next 5 years or so.

I won’t be surprised if we see some new development there over this next development cycle.
The neighbourhood has its challenges though. I walked through there in the summer a couple of times and there still is a feeling of sketching us around the area. Especially along that new meeting area/park or whatever they call it that’s right beside the LRT tracks. Both times I went past there there were numerous people passed out on the lawn, strung out on drugs.

I know we’ve talked about homeless issues in the past, and the possible solutions or hurdles, but either way, it’s something that needs to dealt with if East Village is to prosper.

In regard to the challenges regarding homelessness, that is going to be a long work in progress I think. If anything it’s gotten worse the past year or two.

As far as development goes, we’ll see EV606 and Vita go ahead in this next cycle, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the One Properties proposal and Vibe go ahead in 2024. That would be an enormous lift to the neighbourhood. With those developed, it would really just be the two central blocks left, and the block with the Bosa construction office on it too. Still a lot of work, but at least the new proposals are giving hope, it’s still moving along.

I did not see this article posted anywhere

The main focus of the article is on the One Properties project however there is a review on what other development is going on including the large vacant section in the middle owned by Copez Properties. They are supposed to be announcing an update this year.

Back