News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Skate parks are such a great way to activate a space. I have a few friends who skateboard and ive seen they've been riding at the new mini park in sunnyside a bunch in the past week. So much better than a couple benches for homeless people to sleep on. Also makes EV more attractive for families to live there

I'm curious about what people's arguments are against it. It better be better than my 67y/o mothers argument of "all skateboarders are hooligans and criminals"
Better location would be next the the dog park/community garden/play ground. Maybe underneath all of the bridges could work. C Square if a great space and it would be a shame to lose it to something like a skate park that could be located elsewhere. Another possible location would be along the CPR tracks, near the abomination of a parking structure.

Anything that can be done at C Square can be done at Fifth Street Square, and done better. It’s a larger/wider space, massive piece of famous public art, and blocks away from the Ctrain (far less noise). C Square is barely ever used, and the few small concerts they do, again, would be better held at Fifth Street Square. The skate park will perfectly compliment the other youth amenities in the area, and will be far more attractive view for the hotel and hostel guests across the street, rather than junkies tweaking out in the square (a daily and constant occurrence). It’ll also likely just look markedly better aesthetically as well, but I’ll wait til the design is released.

258849217_407033544292611_2709704238957948462_n.jpg

Updated East Village master plan.

0FB4F344-7D2F-4952-8A1A-3C440039AAA7.jpeg

Until those parcels (K & 28) are developed, East Village is still missing it's heart. I thought someone had purchased the parcel where the hostel is and was going to develop it.
Yes, it says privately held, meaning a developer owns it.

I will riot if they develop the Bounce parcel (Y in the master plan). It's the single most vibrant piece of the East Village, and probably the entire Rivers District. It shouldn't be built on until every other square inch has been utilized, and probably not even then.

If only that’s how capitalism worked. I mean, I agree with you completely. But that’s just not how things work. It will be developed as soon as the owner has the motive/financing to do so. We just need to have realistic expectations I guess is all I mean.

What they could do is, given that C-Square is being turned into a skate park, close the street next to C-Square and move “Bounce” to that location. That street is essentially useless anyways.

I will riot if they develop the Bounce parcel (Y in the master plan). It's the single most vibrant piece of the East Village, and probably the entire Rivers District. It shouldn't be built on until every other square inch has been utilized, and probably not even then.
It’s like Calgary’s equivalent of Toronto’s David Crombie Park basketball court. It’s such a great urban space, and honestly, low cost/maintenance. The City needs to find similar opportunities in the core.

If only that’s how capitalism worked. I mean, I agree with you completely. But that’s just not how things work. It will be developed as soon as the owner has the motive/financing to do so. We just need to have realistic expectations I guess is all I mean.

What they could do is, given that C-Square is being turned into a skate park, close the street next to C-Square and move “Bounce” to that location. That street is essentially useless anyways.
I understand how capitalism works. However, the goal of CMLC is to first reinvigorate communities, only then can they turn a profit.

Rebuilding on another parcel would work, so would a land swap w/ cash compensation. Given its use, I'd be surprised if they couldn't find a sponsor with naming rights. There's plenty of options, but I absolutely believe keeping Bounce and not developing it would be more profitable in the long run.

Back