News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A new little cafe has opened on in the strip mall at the top of Donlands. We stopped by and had a sandwich and coffee -- very nice ambience, but pretty tiny. The owner will need to distinguish his place somehow in order to survive (S Cafe and Select Bakery both do the same cappuccinos on that strip, and the lunch options are legion.) He seemed like a nice guy -- I hope it goes well for him.

So, good news in time for gardening season. A new garden centre is opening in Bill's old location. Signs have gone up for Kleinburg Nursery. Drove by yesterday, and it looked like they were stocking the outdoor and indoor spaces. Also, there were Help Wanted signs in the windows, if anyone knows anyone looking for garden-related work.

By the way, I am not a big fan of smoked salmon but, over Christmas, I bought some to bring to a couple of brunches we were invited to. Got it from Valentino's on O'Connor. Totally blew everybody away. MUCH better than the legendary Kristapson's.
http://torontolife.com/guides/food_shops/fishmongers/valentinos-smokin-salmon/
I noticed this place is closed now. The woman at V Nails told me the landlord doubled the rent so they moved elsewhere (North York, I believe). This leaves 3 empty shops on that block.

I posted this in the Riverdale thread because it's kind of on the border but a new little cafe called Chao Ciao Espresso opened in what was a grungy old variety store on the SE corner of Broadview and Browning. I can't imagine the pedestrian traffic is all that dense there but, at the same time, the rent must be cheap.

A new middle eastern place, "Shawarma Frenzy" has opened on the east side of Pape between Floyd & Cosburn (can't remember if it's north or south of Gowan). Has anyone tried it yet? We had some takeout sandwiches from the new BBQ place across from McDonald's a few weeks ago and they were decent for the price.

A new middle eastern place, "Shawarma Frenzy" has opened on the east side of Pape between Floyd & Cosburn (can't remember if it's north or south of Gowan.

Curious about this place, as well. With the closing of Sultan Shawarma in Thorncliffe Park, this is the closest shawarma place to me now. The name itself doesn't inspire confidence, I must say. I may just have to increase my treks to Shawarma Empire on Lawrence, which is probably the best in the city.

Shawarma Frenzy mini review:

Walked in for a late lunch today and grabbed a wrap for takeout. Two pleasant middle-aged ladies (Greek? Albanian?) who may be owners/managers were sitting at their tables out front. Nondescript fast food decor (dark tiles, formica tables (8-10)). Served me a well made wrap with plenty of shawarma and condiments for $5.50, cut and stuffed fresh then warmed in a panini press. Pickles had snap, spicy sauce, good tahini.

As they've just opened, they've been doing little specials -- today's was a free couple of pieces of baklava. It suffered from the heat and walk home, but the girls hoovered it down anyway.

Wouldn't rave, but I'll go back. Good fast food joint.

BTW -- for anyone who's a peach fan, the farmers at East York's Tuesday morning market have baskets of fantastic ripe fruit now that we're into August. The work on the park continues, but they've got 2/3rds of it open now (very nice -- simple and open). Corn's ripe, too.

Isn't there still a Sultan Shawarma at Pape and Danforth, near the subway station?

Not sure, haven't ventured that way. The Afghani resto (Bamiyan Kebob) across from where Sultan used to be just off Overlea makes wicked good kebob wraps which are close enough to shawarma to not make me drive to the Danforth to get some. Empire Shawarma is a whole new ballgame, though..

Thanks for the Shawarma Frenzy review, RRR. I'll give it a go. Still hate the name.

Is Thorncliffe Park to be discussed in this thread? It's technically east york, but so is leaside, and it has a separate thread. Just wondering.

I think EMG referred to Old East York in the name of the thread to distinguish it from the old municipality. Thorncliffe Park may have its own (old) thread - Leaside does. But I don't think there is anything wrong with referring to kebabs and shawarma in nearby Thorncliffe Park here in the context of a discussion about the merits of a new shawarma place in EY.

ETA: There is an old thread for Thorncliffe. And even Bamiyan Kebab is mentioned.

Clothing store Eleven11 has closed at the southwest corner of Pape and Cosburn. They had gradually expanded from one space up to four over the past few years so it's somewhat surprising to see them disappear all of a sudden.

I'll bet on a Tim Horton's. The McD across the street is always packed with the elderly locals nursing coffees. The soups and sandwiches at Tim's would sit in their stomachs better.

I'll bet on a Tim Horton's. The McD across the street is always packed with the elderly locals nursing coffees. The soups and sandwiches at Tim's would sit in their stomachs better.
I have my fingers crossed for a halfway decent diner or breakfast/brunch spot. East York Restaurant, where rarely is anything served other than coffee or booze, does not count.

Back