News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Had occasion to try a number of new and not so new place to eat in the area lately.

(1) Pho Culture (I can never remember the name.) Opposite Shoppers on Pape. Nice, clean, family-run. Not the most sophisticated service but very reasonable. We had many dishes which were excellent. (All veg.) The only thing I would not recommend is the Pad Thai. Too much tamarind and way too gloppy.

(2) Goat Coffee just north of the KFC on Pape. Great salads and sandwiches. Eat in, or on the patio or take-out.

(3) Knuckle Sandwich on Coxwell, just south of the LCBO in the two facing "strip malls" below O'Connor. Wow. Just wow. Fantastic sandwiches, fries and craft beer.

(4) I don't know what it's going to be called but this is just a note on a new place being rebuilt on the NE corner of Pape and O'Connor, in that "strip mall." The former O'Connor Station and Sam's Eatery is being renovated I think as some kind of diner with "American food."

The 7-11 at Donlands and O’Connor is closing June 22. They are fairly low on stock already so I’m not sure they’ll make it to that point.

Fotia Tapas Bar opened recently at 156 O'Connor (at Pape) in the empty restaurant space. According to their website, they have a house band from Greece and a bit of a strange menu that has a lot of pizza on it. The rumour was that they were going to put in video gambling terminals but I haven't been inside to see if that's true or not.

A couple of surprising coffee shop openings in East York..

Starbucks is opening up on Overlea Blvd near the new Costco

Coffee Time is re-opening up in the Pape/Cosburn area but this time at Pape & Gowan

Coffee Time is re-opening up in the Pape/Cosburn area but this time at Pape & Gowan

When the traffic studies were done for the new Costco, I believe they found that most of the traffic on Overlea is not from the neighbourhood. So that Starbucks is likely intending to serve the travelling public. Plus it's within walking distance of the high school, and apparently the kids are spending all their money these days at places like Starbucks.

Fotia Tapas Bar opened recently at 156 O'Connor (at Pape) in the empty restaurant space. According to their website, they have a house band from Greece and a bit of a strange menu that has a lot of pizza on it. The rumour was that they were going to put in video gambling terminals but I haven't been inside to see if that's true or not.

I had a quick drive-by on Wednesday and, out of the corner of my eye, it seems as if the windows were papered over.

ETA: I just checked their FB page. They seem alive and kicking. But I could swear they had a separate website a month or so ago and now there's nothing under their domain name.

Chicago Eatery at 919 Pape Ave at Kings Park has closed and will become "King's Drive-In"
Previously, it was called "King's Bar & Grill" and before that, it was "King's Park Souvlaki Place"

Chicago Eatery at 919 Pape Ave at Kings Park has closed and will become "King's Drive-In"
Previously, it was called "King's Bar & Grill" and before that, it was "King's Park Souvlaki Place"

King's Park Souvlaki Place was an institution back in the day. Sort of Pape Village's answer to Square Boy.

Does this mean the grimey coffee/time at pape/cosburn gas station will be closing !?!?

Back