Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:
Originally thought this was for 14, but apparently its something else entirely.

FORMAL PRESENTATIONS (Open to the Public)
B.4. 18:40 114 Street Development (Development Permit)
Abe Salloum - Arc Studio

C.3 114 Street Development (Development Permit)
Abe Salloum - Arc Studio

Motion of support with Conditions
● The project could benefit from enhanced buffering along the south and east side
of the site, through screening, raising the main floor elevation of ground floor
units, and other means. Such modifications will improve the building interface
while allowing the ground floor unit outdoor patio spaces to extend to the
property line.
● Further development of the amenity and service / loading area is encouraged,
with respect to its configuration, accommodation of access and movement, and
separation of uses.
These comments are based on the conceptual direction shown in the EDC package.
Should the design be modified at the time of Development Permit, the Applicant is
encouraged to return to the Committee for a walk-on to clarify these changes.

CARRIED

Description: To construct 94 Dwellings of Multi-unit Housing building (6 Storey apartment) with 2 Storeys of underground parkade.
Permit date: September 11, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 10139 - 114 STREET NW
Neighbourhood: OLIVER
Zoning: RA9,RA9,RA9

1600110707942.png

While it's such a shame that the old Leamington Mansions on the site burnt down half-way though its restoration, it is nice to see its old lot finally being filled in. Interesting to see that the Modernist apartment is getting replaced too: I'm pretty sure that following the Leamington fire it got completely refaced with new siding.

@Grandinite Apparently it's actually these three lots:

View attachment 269489

Not sure if my earlier map only shows the one due to an issue with the Open Data feed or my tracking utility, will have to dig into that.

Ohhh ok. That makes more sense. Yea you're previous map only showed the middle lot selected.

Ohhh ok. That makes more sense. Yea you're previous map only showed the middle lot selected.

Looks like it's because the city's database currently still has them listed as three separate legal and title lots, and the permit in Open Data only points to one of them. Not sure at what point they would consider them consolidated.

this looks really interesting. I am curious, wondering if anyone with market wisdom can elaborate. why the big parkade? normally these 6 story (presumably wood frame) buildings are built over a single level of parking to help keep costs down. given the removal of parking minimums city-wide, as well as the site's proximity to Jasper Ave, Downtown, and the coming Valley Line, isn't this the kind of site that would remain marketable/saleable for developers, even with reduced parking? looking at the site area, i'm betting two floors of underground parking would fit a stall for each of the 93 units. Given that a lot of the existing parkades and surface lots in Oliver are under-utilized by residents already, why go through the trouble of overbuilding again?
I mean, it's underground, so it doesn't really affect the streetscape, but having a potentially excessive amount of parking available does incentivize driving, in what is probably the most car-free-lifestyle-friendly area in the city, which is sub-optimal. do we know how bing the parkade is or why it's unusually big?
Other than that this looks really cool!
edit: I see this proposal predates the zoning bylaw amendment. do we think the parkade will be reduced to help cut costs and speed construction?

It comes down to whether the owners feel that they can effectively market their product with limited parking. Given the location, I know we wouldn't build the big of a parkade as it is costly. There is a large enough market that don't have a vehicle that want to live in Oliver.

It comes down to whether the owners feel that they can effectively market their product with limited parking. Given the location, I know we wouldn't build the big of a parkade as it is costly. There is a large enough market that don't have a vehicle that want to live in Oliver.

just gotta make jasper ave more pleasant to walk along and with more amenities/services (this is quickly improving, i know)

Reference ID: Job No 383377326-002
Description: Exterior Alteration
Plan B3 Blk 13 Lot 121
10131 - 114 STREET NW
Plan B3 Blk 13 Lot 120
Applicant: ARC STUDIO
Create Date: 1/11/2021 10:32:07 AM
Neighbourhood: OLIVER

Reference Id:Job No 383377326-002
Description:To construct exterior alterations to a 94 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing building (revised floor to ceiling height).
Plan B3 Blk 13 Lot 121
10125 - 114 STREET NW
Plan B3 Blk 13 Lots 119-120
10131 - 114 STREET NW
Plan B3 Blk 13 Lot 120
Plan 2121381 Blk 13 Lot 121A
Applicant:ARC STUDIO
Create Date:2021/01/11
Neighbourhood:OLIVER
Issue Date:2021/03/15
Class Of Permit:Class A

Back