What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

Kaizen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sad to see Army and Navy closed and boarded up.
2020-06-06 018.JPG

@Grandinite No, that's a block west, on the north side of Whyte.

It's this building:
Screenshot_20200728-182843_Maps.jpg

There's a thread for the When Pigs Fly building:

^
For anyone interested, here's a copy and paste explanation of mine from SSP regarding that building:
mcc16;8992715 said:
Is the corner considered historic?

Totally. It's not a designated Municipal Historic Resource, but it is listed on the City's Inventory of Historic Resources for being either architecturally or culturally significant and as being worthy of potential designation. It was built as the Royal Bank of Canada's Southside Branch on a standardized suburban plan used through the country. The Dominion Bank had initially bought the plot and used it for a time, though by 1916 the R.B.C. is listed as owning it. Tom Monto's book Old Strathcona: Edmonton's Southside Roots has this to say about it: "the Royal Bank Building replaced the Rutherford Block, which A.C. Rutherford had built in 1899. The Royal Bank Building stands on on the southwest corner of 104 Street and Whyte Avenue, where it is surrounded by the Army and Navy Store. An old night deposit box on the front of the building today harkens back to the building's bank use. The building's offices upstairs have housed a host of illustrious southsiders in its history. For example, in 1935, it housed the offices of Frederick Keillor (of Keillor Road fame), physician John A. McPherson and the law firm of Young & Bisset."

I honestly also doubt that complete demolition of it would be considered (I hope). It's a big brick building located right on the main intersection of Whyte, in the heart of the Old Strathcona Provincial Historic Area. I'd think anything less than a facade retention would cause quite the stir.

Here's two pictures, one from ~1920 and the other from 1949. A matching addition was added to the south around 1950.
na-3774-86.jpg

EA-600-2773a.JPG

Lets hope they retain the entire facade at the very least and do a better job at re-building it (if that is their intent) than the Glenora B&B.

Yeah, here's hoping. While I appreciate their attempt to keep the old Buena Vista Apartments facade around, the reconstruction is sloppy at best. So many small details are off, and I guess you could call it nitpicking, but it shows an overall lack of care towards their attempts at preservation.

@Grandinite No, that's a block west, on the north side of Whyte.

It's this building:
View attachment 260420

There's a thread for the When Pigs Fly building:

Do'h! Of course. Thanks

It would be nice if this building could be brought back to life. Its like we can't catch a break. First the esso lot sat empty for years until the Raymond Block was built, then now the A&N property is sitting idle for who know how long.

@cmd uw I don't suppose they also bought the CDDP/parking lot property to the south? That's another one I'd love to see developed soon.
Looks like the property to the south is part of the redevelopment package. I really like this first rendering, the A & N tribute is a very nice touch and I think the whole design fits in so well.

Back