What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Proposed rezoning in Oliver for an apartment tower

Residents are invited to an open house to share their thoughts on the proposed rezoning of property at 11350 Jasper Avenue NW in the Oliver neighbourhood.

Date:
Thursday, March 03, 2016

Time:
6 p.m. (presentation at 7 p.m.)

The proposed rezoning from a DC1 Direct Development Control Provision to a DC2 Site Specific Development Control Provision would allow for the development of a 160 metre (approximately 45 to 50 storeys) tall apartment tower with street-level commercial/retail uses and surface-level parking.

The meeting will be an opportunity to learn more about the proposal and provide feedback to the City and the applicant, Stantec Consulting Ltd. Feedback will be summarized in a report to City Council for a final decision on the rezoning.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/PublicInvolvementCalendar

Media contact:
Karen Burgess
Communications Advisor
Current Planning Branch
780-496-4908

@bennessb Let me answer your question with a bingo card:

Bingo.PNG

More seriously, though, council has been pretty pro-development and pro-intensification the last few years, but I suspect the height will get chopped down to about 120-130m.

Attachments

• Bingo.PNG
    Bingo.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 3,095
Thread title should be updated to:
Edmonton | Emerald Tower | 160m | 45s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

(@bennessb is it you I should tag for doing that?)

Details from the meeting:
273 units
12.4 FAR
650m2 tower floorplate
70% frontage glazing
$50,000 public art component - glass art wall on west & south podium
4 ground-floor commercial/retail bays - 1900m
313 parking spaces spread between underground and above-ground parkade (podium levels 2-4)
bike parking facility
Rooftop patio on podium
Tower access on 114 St.

Hoping to get some high-res renders soon, but for now here are the charettes from the open house:

_MG_2153.jpg
_MG_2154.jpg
_MG_2155.jpg
_MG_2156.jpg
_MG_2157.jpg
_MG_2158.jpg
_MG_2160.jpg
_MG_2159.jpg
_MG_2161.jpg
_MG_2162.jpg
_MG_2163.jpg
_MG_2164.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_2153.jpg
    _MG_2153.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,624
  • _MG_2154.jpg
    _MG_2154.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,533
  • _MG_2155.jpg
    _MG_2155.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,443
  • _MG_2156.jpg
    _MG_2156.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,626
  • _MG_2157.jpg
    _MG_2157.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,456
  • _MG_2158.jpg
    _MG_2158.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4,582
  • _MG_2160.jpg
    _MG_2160.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,475
  • _MG_2159.jpg
    _MG_2159.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4,774
  • _MG_2161.jpg
    _MG_2161.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,433
  • _MG_2162.jpg
    _MG_2162.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,383
  • _MG_2163.jpg
    _MG_2163.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,296
  • _MG_2164.jpg
    _MG_2164.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,312
Last edited:
very cool! If you get any graphics, I'd love to put them up on the front page!

for thread updates you can tag me or @Marcanadian, I'll usually do quick changes and pass more in depth ones on to Marcus. (ie. I just manually changed the thread title, but he'll likely be the one updating the project database to formalize the change).

@bennessb Haha, no, I had to take off after the presentation unfortunately, so I didn't really get a good sense of what residents thought about it. Wasn't a huge turnout, either, maybe just a couple dozen people?

Hope to get the renders soon, I'd like to do a write-up for this one.

Looks good. That's a good height for residential, and not overly crazy fro the location. Hopefully the nimbys don't get it reduced.

Great potential for revitalizing Jasper Avenue -- something that the City needs to pay more attention to -- with commercial lease spaces at street level blocked out to provide several entry points along the sidewalk. Concealed parking with access from the lane is also a positive feature. I like the tower -- DER exploring their inner Piet Mondrian again -- there are some interesting subtle nuances in form as the eye travels up the tower facade (from all viewpoints). Regency is getting skilled at the high-rise apartment development game and getting a little bolder with each new venture. Edmonton needs downtown density to revitalize the core and to uplift Jasper Avenue as the main street. The City Planners are currently studying reduced parking requirements for "main streets", so parking shouldn't be an issue here. Also, I have never understood the argument for height restrictions in the downtown core (including Oliver district) since the closing of the Municipal Airport. The NIMBYs should be more upset with the stubby -- and typically ugly -- mid rise buildings in the area and, worse, the slum-inducing walk-ups. Developments like this should be celebrated!

Bang on, @archited. Though I'm not 100% on the design, it's not bad overall, the height is very bold, but more importantly it will fill a big gap in the streetscape and bring more people and more retail into the downtown and Oliver neighbourhoods.

I actually filled out the survey about main street parking quite recently. The importance of reviewing parking minimums is apparent when you realize that the podium for Emerald is something like 80% parking, and that there will be 1.15 parking spaces per unit; in the heart of the city, that's an absolutely ridiculous mount of parking. The costs of building that infrastructure for cars gets passed right on the residents (to say nothing of the costs to all of us when adding that many cars to the roads), all the while we complain about the cost of housing in the city.

Back