Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Great, just what my neighbourhood needs... an EFG special.

Reference ID: Job No 360864623-002
Description: To construct a Multi-unit Housing building with eighty-nine (89) units.
Plan 1640KS Blk 3 Lot 48
Applicant: EFG ARCHITECTS INC
Create Date: 4/27/2020 11:52:45 AM
Neighbourhood: HOLYROOD

Last edited:
Great, just what my neighbourhood needs... an EFG special.

Reference ID: Job No 360864623-002
Description: Construction of (a) new building(s)
Plan 1640KS Blk 3 Lot 48
Applicant: EFG ARCHITECTS INC
Create Date: 4/27/2020 11:52:45 AM
Looks like an existing apartment building on Google Maps that is in decent condition relatively speaking.

@westcoastjos The complex was recently sold and the new owners wasted no time renevicting long-time tenants and upping the rent substantially. They are looking to add another building somewhere in the middle of the site, which they have room for in the current zoning.

DP is still in progress, but they're clearing the trees from the site:

20200724_091349.jpg

You know what, I'm really getting sick of this new "let's just cut down the trees" trend going on in some mature neighborhoods. For example, on my block and the next ALONE I can probably count off 10 or 11 mature fully-grown trees with no illnesses being cut down within the last two years. I understand that these trees are on private property so there isn't much the city can do here, but there has to be some sort of incentive for developers and builders to keep and integrate as many of those trees as they can into the new project! 😔 Overall just personally makes me feel bad seeing something that takes a lifetime to grow be destroyed in a few hours.

^^^^
^^^^ You know, in SoCal, there is a viable business that has evolved around moving mature trees from one site to another. I know that the City of Las Vegas has paid some substantial sums of cash to import palm trees from California. Tree movers have substantial machinery that can (hydraulically) pick up the main root ball of mature trees and, as long as extreme care is taken with sun orientation and exposure and watering and nutrition, most (90%+) transplants thrive quite well after the move. http://www.moretreesplease.ca/
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 2.31.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 2.32.23 PM.png

^ That's very impressive @archited. We have had some mature trees moved in Edmonton in the past, I have to do some digging to see if I can find any relative info. We need a more appropriate relocation program for YEG, absolutely.

*edit, I noticed that the link you provided is franchised in Edmonton and area as well, just need to continue on with motivating city policies.

Last edited:
@Kaizen it is a political thing that definitely needs some attention -- whether a policy that provides for planting and nurturing (say) a dozen trees for every cut tree (unless provision is made for moving same, making the cost equation roughly equal for either case -- slightly beneficial to tree moving) or a tax on tree removal that is prohibitive (again, roughly equal to tree moving where tree moving is advantaged). Trees have to start being viewed as a focused and valuable resource as much as bicycle lanes and improvements to the pedestrian realm.

Description: To construct an 89 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing building with underground parkade. There are 4 existing Multi-unit Housing buildings (24 Dwellings each) that will remain onsite.
Permit date: July 27, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Class: Class B
Address: 9505 - 80 STREET NW
Zoning: RA7

Class B, so I guess notices should be going out. Gonna try and get more details on it.

Got some more info on this one. The building footprint will be approximately T shaped, like this:

1596142979653.png

(yes I see it too)

Main entrance will be on 95 Avenue, along with four of the ground-floor units (meaning the current parking access on 95 will be closed). There will be 68 underground stalls, and 130 surface stalls, all accessible from the rear lane. There will be an outdoor amenity patio on the roof level.

Variances are very minor: 1. four small sections of the 95 Avenue facade have articulation that reduces the setbacks; 2. some of the trees in the landscaping will be smaller than would normally be required, but this is offset by the plan having 20 more trees than the minimum requirement.

Design is very basic from what I could tell from the elevation drawings; mainly I think it is designed to fit in with the existing buildings. Hardie panel, vinyl, and some brick were the materials listed. Shouldn't look too terrible.

Developer is actually PK Developments, Adrock is the property manager, though I think they're probably related.

Description: To construct FOOTING AND FOUNDATION (PARKADE) ONLY for an 89 Dwelling Multi-unit Housing building with underground parkade. "Holyrood Court Building #5"
Permit date: September 17, 2020
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (04) Footing & Foundation
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Apartments (310)
Address: 100, 7930 - 95 AVENUE NW
Zoning: RA7

Back