Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-Edmonton-Office-Tower-Rendering-Aerial.jpg
Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-Edmonton-Office-Tower-Rendering-Main.jpg

http://humphreys.ca/project/edmonton-office-tower/
http://hpaurban.com/portfolio-item/edmonton-office-tower/

Websites imply this was to be residential, however the Enbridge logo makes me think it was a response to their RFP for consolidation?

In either case, creating this thread more for historical interest as I'm pretty sure this one won't happen. Can repurpose it in the future if another proposal for this site comes through at some point.

Interesting that the first render also shows 102 St. Centre.

Attachments

• Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-Edmonton-Office-Tower-Rendering-Aerial.jpg
    Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-Edmonton-Office-Tower-Rendering-Aerial.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 1,387
  • Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-Edmonton-Office-Tower-Rendering-Main.jpg
    Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-Edmonton-Office-Tower-Rendering-Main.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1,223
Generally I’m against facadism, but this is one of those rare cases where I’d love to see it happen, if only to save one of our most important pieces of post-war Modernism. Despite all the grand ideas thrown out there in the past, the old Paramount is basically unusable in its current form for anything other than a movie theatre. It was built between 1950-53, long past the heyday of vaudeville, so it has no stage or dressing rooms, meaning it can’t easily be converted into any kind of live performance venue. I’d also doubt it'd survive as a single screen theatre if it was to reopen regardless. And really, at this point only the facade and marquee’s worth saving, given a massive renovation in the ‘80s that stripped it of most of its original charm. I do think saving it nowadays is a slight possibility, given that unlike the A.G.T. Tower on the Leg Grounds, the Paramount doesn't just hold a special place in the hearts of nerds like me, it holds a special place for a lot of Edmontonians. I think it's fair to say there would be quite a bit of uproar over its complete destruction.

I know the CRU map is probably completely preliminary — and to be honest, I’m trying not to get mine, or anyone elses, hopes up here — but if you look at it you may notice that on the northeast side units six thru nine jut out weirdly. These four directly front the property line, while the centre and northwestern portion sits back slightly. Correctly resize and lay the CRU map over a satellite map, and which building does those units size directly correspond with... 🤔

Paramount Redevelopment.gif

Last edited:
I'll still be sad to see the Paramount go, which I imagine is in their plans.

The small retail bays are good idea at least.
it’s street presence will be a loss but as an active urban edge for all intents and purposes it’s been as dead as the old bay/enterprise square across the street. when you add the old enbridge building’s terrible edge to jasper that’s been one tough block for a long time.

other than the front facade and marquee, the interior is really difficult because it was a purpose built movie house and not a vaudeville theatre. that means it was built as a box right to the lane with the screen on the back wall with no loading, no green rooms, no set space and no stage etc. the poured concrete floor has a rake that is too shallow for either movies or live performances. there are no washrooms on the main floor, no coat check or crush space, and no handicap access.

the downtown development corporation looked at this really hard with stantec twenty years ago to create a live performance venue with loge seating like the old dinner theatres that could also host corporate presentations and conference keynote speaker events or lecture series in concert with the u of a etc. but most of those roles are now better met elsewhere in one form or another.

Generally I’m against facadism, but this is one of those rare cases where I’d love to see it happen, if only to save one of our most important pieces of post-war Modernism. Despite all the grand ideas thrown out there in the past, the old Paramount is basically unusable in its current form for anything other than a movie theatre. It was built between 1950-53, long past the heyday of vaudeville, so it has no stage or dressing rooms, meaning it can’t easily be converted into any kind of live performance venue. I’d also doubt it'd survive as a single screen theatre if it was to reopen regardless. And really, at this point only the facade and marquee’s worth saving, given a massive renovation in the ‘80s that stripped it of most of its original charm. I do think saving it nowadays is a slight possibility, given that unlike the A.G.T. Tower on the Leg Grounds, the Paramount doesn't just hold a special place in the hearts of nerds like me, it holds a special place for a lot of Edmontonians. I think it's fair to say there would be quite a bit of uproar over its complete destruction.

I know the CRU map is probably completely preliminary — and to be honest, I’m trying not to get mine, or anyone elses, hopes up here — but if you look at it you may notice that on the northeast side units six thru nine jut out weirdly. These four directly front the property line, while the centre and northwestern portion sits back slightly. Correctly resize and lay the CRU map over a satellite map, and which building does those units size directly correspond with... 🤔

View attachment 273556
I'd rather see it retained as a movie theatre... Or even a community space of sorts... Or if redeveloped find a way to retain and perhaps even expand its arts hub status... Frankly I'd really love to see a long-term plan to revive and restore the movie palaces of Jasper Avenue the way that both Vancouver and LA have done the same to their original theatre districts... We've already lost a lot along the way though so it would probably a losing battle... RIP... Gem, Dreamland, Odeon, Pantages/Strand, Capitol, Rialto, Paramount...

And considering that the only useful thing that will come out of it is what a ramp to a parkade that really shouldn't be built... Not the best trade off...

Back