What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Absolutely. The anti-developer attitude that's prevalent in the OCL resulted in a lose-lose-lose.

The community lost a lot, the city lost a bit, and the developer lost a bit. Such a stupid outcome on what could've been a win-win-win if it hadn't been for the "anti-greedy developer" white knights on the OCL.

Wish we could get projects like this instead of what we're seeing here. One day 🙏

Screenshot_20211015-142111_Chrome.jpg

It's sad that we can all imagine the subpar product this will likely be based on the elevation, because it's the same as most new 6 storey wood frames in the City. Cheap faux stone trim on the first floor, hardipanel or stucco, and some vinyl siding thrown in if we're lucky. Would love to be proven wrong of course, but a quick browse of the developer website makes me think I'm right.

The thing is, this falls directly on the developers. In Calgary the product being built their seems much higher quality on average, and it's not like home prices are substantially more expensive, but they just seem to be willing to spend a bit more on the design and materials.

We could always legislate architectural quality, for example in the lower mainland many cities require you to register building schemes on title that set standards for materials and architectural styles (even for developments that don't go through rezoning). But that means although nothing new getting built is ugly, it's also not usually particularly interesting and everything looks the same, so I'm really not a fan of it. Not sure if either Edmonton/Calgary has similar, but I find it so strange the discrepancy of quality between Edmonton and Calgary right now .

Building Permit Date
Nov 03, 2021
Job Category
Commercial Final
Job Description
To construct a FOOTING AND FOUNDATION ONLY for a two level parkade. A future 6 storey 158 unit (rental) apartment building is to be constructed above underground parkade. - Abbey Park Residences (Parkade) NOTE: 6 story Building BP 391153549-007 Shoring & Excavation BP 391153549-015 Hoarding BP 391153549-022
Address
10231 - 120 STREET NW

It's sad that we can all imagine the subpar product this will likely be based on the elevation, because it's the same as most new 6 storey wood frames in the City. Cheap faux stone trim on the first floor, hardipanel or stucco, and some vinyl siding thrown in if we're lucky. Would love to be proven wrong of course, but a quick browse of the developer website makes me think I'm right.

The thing is, this falls directly on the developers. In Calgary the product being built their seems much higher quality on average, and it's not like home prices are substantially more expensive, but they just seem to be willing to spend a bit more on the design and materials.

We could always legislate architectural quality, for example in the lower mainland many cities require you to register building schemes on title that set standards for materials and architectural styles (even for developments that don't go through rezoning). But that means although nothing new getting built is ugly, it's also not usually particularly interesting and everything looks the same, so I'm really not a fan of it. Not sure if either Edmonton/Calgary has similar, but I find it so strange the discrepancy of quality between Edmonton and Calgary right now .
Oh, I wish you could legislate taste, but I suspect you can't. Edmonton is a bit more isolated from more cosmopolitan centres, so I think what happens is by the time something trendy or fashionable gets here it is sometimes cheaped out and stripped of some of its best qualities, like the designer dress knock off at Walmart.

Having said that, I am sometimes amazed by certain buildings or projects that are of great quality here, it is just that we need more of them. However, I think its best to talk in specifics not generalities. If there is a good project point it out and if there is one that is sub par, likewise.

Sometimes I think we should have a Wall of Shame for particularly bad ones. I don't think some people care what they make as long as they can sell it, but if their reputation suffers, perhaps they will be more thoughtful in the future.

Permit Date
December 1, 2021
Permit Type
Commercial Final
Description
To construct Fence Hoarding (located on the east, west, north, & south property lines, and located on City property (120 street (8' x 150') in area)) for construction of a 6 storey Residential Apartment building. - Abbey Park Residences - Fence Hoarding good till May 31, 2022 unless extension is granted NOTE: Building Building permit 391153549-007 Footing & Foundation Permit 391153549-013 Shoring & Excavation Permit 391153549-015

Address
10231 - 120 STREET NW

Design/Building/missed opportunity. This site with townhouses and some 3-4th level on the perimeter and a bright/sunny/secure inner courtyard for families to gather, play, grow...

Back