What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Century Park, Stadium and Clareview are really batting it out of the park when it comes to TOD.
Idk about “out of the park”… but they’re starting to get some consistent first base hits and maybe a double or triple at stadium yards. Our TODs are still largely disjointed though and have been decades in the making. They need more walkability and local retail, and are mostly still looking at 10-15 years of construction until completion. Please don’t get me wrong, lots to celebrate. But compared to every other big city in canada, we’re still playing catch-up.

Some drone footage of this area would be interesting to get a sense of how it’s coming together. How many “parcels” or buildings left until it would be “filled in”? 10?
How about satellite? Century Gardens is in the top right.
1688521558254.png

This is just from google earth pro (the desktop version). There's a button at the top that lets you change the date:
1688521525538.png

Idk about “out of the park”… but they’re starting to get some consistent first base hits and maybe a double or triple at stadium yards. Our TODs are still largely disjointed though and have been decades in the making. They need more walkability and local retail, and are mostly still looking at 10-15 years of construction until completion. Please don’t get me wrong, lots to celebrate. But compared to every other big city in canada, we’re still playing catch-up.
I'd say Century Park is knocking it out of the park in terms of quality of the developments. Even the worst ones are actually really good. I just wish they were more affordable. At this rate, living in Oliver is a better deal, considering the better amenities, access to transit and the overall feel, for the price (lower, on average), than Century Park.

Heh, I guess I still have my rose-tinted glasses on from when I was spending time at Cafe Felice on Friday.

I thought that it had already started.

^ Not yet, but soon hopefully.
It won't be opening by 2024, it's gotta start first.

I like the building over all, but not the street level, seems cold.
No CRU's by the looks of it which is understandable, but it just looks kinda blah to me. Hopefully a better presentation street wise will appear in some design refinement?

Heh, I guess I still have my rose-tinted glasses on from when I was spending time at Cafe Felice on Friday.
I think they’re all worth celebrating though! 🙂

But I also know that we’ll keep getting better. 142st (west block & others) and 149st, along with Bonnie doon and MWTC could all become amazing in the next 2 decades I hope. Much of Vancouver’s TOD is still only in the early years. But if you have a chance to see Brentwood, Surrey, Metrotown, Richmond, Oakridge, Broadway, it really does set a global level of TOD quality I think. Cool for us to be close to a city like that, and hopefully Calgary/Edmonton can draw from expertise and industry leaders out there as we lean more into TOD this decade.

4B9917D5-2975-456A-BBFE-9CD3D2CC7780.jpeg
D65B0649-BF0E-4504-9066-F6433370D024.jpeg
FA96541A-0F8D-4E4F-972E-D1A61007459D.jpeg
7CBEDB4A-6C4A-4D5E-9539-6EB31BEA7B0E.jpeg
B23B0761-45FA-4587-A4C3-A8040965529D.jpeg
A4930800-104D-4BCD-BE41-D2C4221BCE84.jpeg

I think they’re all worth celebrating though! 🙂

But I also know that we’ll keep getting better. 142st (west block & others) and 149st, along with Bonnie doon and MWTC could all become amazing in the next 2 decades I hope. Much of Vancouver’s TOD is still only in the early years. But if you have a chance to see Brentwood, Surrey, Metrotown, Richmond, Oakridge, Broadway, it really does set a global level of TOD quality I think. Cool for us to be close to a city like that, and hopefully Calgary/Edmonton can draw from expertise and industry leaders out there as we lean more into TOD this decade.

View attachment 489990View attachment 489991View attachment 489992View attachment 489993View attachment 489994View attachment 489995

Much of Vancouver's TODs are slow-burns too (eg Metrotown). And the ones going faster now are only because the momentum has been built over decades. Many sites that now have TODs, after having rapid transit access for decades,have only recently gotten their high-density remodel. When it was built, the Millennium Line was considered a SkyTrain to nowhere, as, aside from Brentwood and Lougheed malls, it mostly went through low-density industrial areas. It took a couple decades for that to finally change.

Last edited:

Back