What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I Noticed the tower heights listed on the first project board are about 10% higher than specified elsewhere as tallest tower 147 meters? Is that just a max zoning ask?
  • North Tower: Approximately 35 storeys (140 meters) in height
  • South Tower: Approximately 45 storeys (165 meters) in height.

Much as I love this proposal, I still wish these didn't have to make way for it...

C.2. 108 Street and Jasper Avenue (Rezoning)
Evan Joyes - Associated Engineering

MOVED: R. Labonte
Motion of support with conditions.
SECONDED: T. Antoniuk

The Committee recommends that the Applicant:
● Includes in the DC regulation references to best practice in intensive and extensive
green roof development.
● Appends a main floor plan to the DC regulation.

CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: D. Deshpande, S. Kaznacheeva, A. Zepp, W. Sims, T. Antoniuk, R.
Labonte, B. Nolan

Is there any way that it could be taken off its foundations and moved somewhere else / reconstructed?

As a unit it would have to moved to a nearby location -- it doesn't serve well to break it up into pieces -- the exterior skin would have to be completely re-plastered. I can't imagine that it would be worth the effort -- Spanish revival or not. It is a bit of an oddity for Edmonton; if it had been a building in Santa Barbara, however, it would have been among myriad other examples that were more worthy of preservation. It should be well documented with Photos and preserved in Edmonton Archives.

I'd feel worse about it if it was being replaced with something mediocre, but this really is a good development proposal. I'd love for the developer to reverse course and say they're going to keep El Mirador, but I know it's just not going to happen for a lot of valid reasons.

It would cost far too much to fix it up. I've lived at El Mirador for fourteen years now, and any maintenance has been kept to an absolute minimum the entire time. Plumbing, heating, wiring, is all shot. Tenants have had their bathroom ceilings partly fall in because of leaks, and the only repairs where to nail a piece of plywood to the ceiling. They couldn't care less. I believe it's called "demolition through neglect". It's such a shame. I love living here. The journal article can't come close to explaining how fantastic it is to hang out almost every nice day with the best neighbors I have ever lived with. I'll miss the BBQs and parties in the courtyard, no need to go out on weekends, the people and the party are right here. I've made some very good friends, I'm just pissed with the management of this building for allowing it to get this bad. I'll keep in touch with the people I've met here, but I know we have to move on now. Really sucks.

Back