What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
*not all the tools were/are in place, BUT:

El Mira/PatAn should have been maintained, restored and retained, period.

For that, the owners should have been provided an opportunity to have an uplift on other lands nearby/in the Downtown in exchange for that effort.

Being rewarded with massive height, FAR, density FOR taking this down sends all of the wrong messages.

Period.

El Mira/PatAn should have been maintained, restored and retained, period.
Thank god this is only your opinion.

I would've hated to miss these towers, and all of the positives it brings to Downtown, because of it. As I can never get tired of saying here, as much as I hate losing some really relevant historical pieces of the city (which I don't think was the case of the building we're talking about), you cannot force developers to choose lots they don't want, or land owners to sell land they want to keep. Until we have enough momentum in terms of development that people will want to build anywhere they can (and therefore will be willing to pay premiums for land), if we try to curb the demolition of EVERY SINGLE kind of interesting building, all we'll do is scare off developers.

As much as there was some relevance and importance to El Mirador, NOTHING, absolutely nothing it offered could even compare to the amount of benefits this project will bring for Downtown.

As someone who is employed to defend land owner rights and development potential of said lands, don't misunderstand my comments.

My point is that there are more beneficial ways forward and additional 'win wins' out there; you must giveth to receive.

There is an imbalance and lack of regard for history, build-history/form and the charm/character it adds to our cities.

I feel we need to be more serious about preserving our history, because we don't have a lot of it. This is a really good discussion and most of the points either way are valid.

El Mirador was a unique (for Edmonton) building and seemed to have a good sense of community. As for not being unique in the world, I am sure many of the US state capital buildings are copies of something from elsewhere too.

However, El Mirador was also getting to the end of its life and while interesting was not historically significant enough keep. I think The Parks will add a lot to the area and so be a good replacement.

Lastly, I hope we do keep some of the other remaining interesting and unique (to Edmonton) buildings we have and maybe add a few more. They are what give a place a personality and sense of character. Lets not always stick with boring and safe.

Pagnotta Inc.
5,515 followers
7h • 7 hours ago

Update from The Parks in downtown Edmonton! P3 pour #2 is now complete! This pour was a total of 230 m3, and covered 9600 sqf. Big thanks to Creecon and A&B for their hard work. As you can also see, the P3 pour is currently being formed.

Does this mean the second tower will be moving ahead sooner rather than later?
That’s what I was wondering as well…..

Did anyone else know that Canada ICI Finance is based out of YEG? Who knew? If you look them up on LinkedIn it’s shows all the projects they are currently financing…..including a new Griesbach condo development

Back