What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I'll go back to what I noted before -- the difficulty and therefore the attendant cost of developing the footings and subterranean elements of this project increase its viability the higher it goes. Also, if it remains a true mixed use project as originally conceived with condos, apartments, hotel, offices, retail and restaurants, the same height parameters apply. 80 storeys was not a number achieved at random. Brad Kennedy's original design and subsequently Gene Dub's massing model both exceed to the higher height concept. The site has exceptional river valley view potential -- one of the last best in that realm; it is also an exceptional site for an upper end hotel (financing difficulties aside) based on connectivity to the Convention Centre (sadly in need of stronger representation globally). Alldritt has been dealt all of the right cards here -- I expect it will be one very tall project.

I think the timeline is too tight to make the World Cup -- this will be a five-year construction project so it would have to start right now to make that happen.
Given no permits are in and the complexity of the project, probably still looking at 18 months to start of construction after they submit anything to the City, which puts them into mid 2023 if they submit a package today. More likely to be in 2024 at this point, which puts them at 2028 or 2029 for completion.

I heard once they started doing soil samples and engineering excavating/shoring, piles and everything else they were in way over their heads.

I'd be shocked if this build ever happens

spoke in confidence to Alldritt's tower project manager just recently and he confirms that the project is a full-on "go" -- you can expect to see a "sales centre" once the snow clears on the site between the Russian Orthodox Church and Jasper Avenue

Hope you're right. Would love to see it.

At the same time, I've talked to a lot of developers who have told us the project is 100% full go and it never happen, so I'm not holding my breath

After the design is finalized and financing has been attained, it is conceivable that Alldritt could break the permit process up so that they could get an early start on foundation work. Having said that, I think the time-line is still too tight for World Cup.
Definitely would be broken up, that said, I don't even think the DP is in (nothing here or on the public listings), so still a while to go on this and I think the circulation will take a while given the complexity of the site - I think a portion of the site has LRT implications.

I heard once they started doing soil samples and engineering excavating/shoring, piles and everything else they were in way over their heads.

I'd be shocked if this build ever happens
The last thing I recall was that the geotech/foundation/structural requirements would eat up about 25-30% of the overall cost of the project.

This is a good point and a nice amenity I took for granted at a conference in Washington.

For that matter would be nice to have an indoor link up to the Courtyard hotel right there.
Yes, good point! The forgotten about Courtyard hotel. It is close enough that it could have an indoor or pedway link, also the Hotel Macdonald.

The Westin and Doubletree Hilton are within fairly easy walking distance too, so it isn't like there is nothing nearby.

Hopefully they start construction, at least on the pilings, this Spring.
There will be a massive excavation project before they get around to drilling piles -- the foundational direction here will include both piles and a substantial concrete mat slab. The mat slab will require extensive excavation below grade -- that will be the first order of business. After that excavation has been achieved then there will be pile drilling the depth of which will be at least half the height of the building.

Back