What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Yes, the people confidently predicting it would start this spring were not official representatives for Alldritt. I do not know if they have any business relationship or connection with Alldritt or not to base that on.

However, I don't think when the project was put forward it was said it would not start for 10 years. I believe the impression was given it would be much sooner, whether that was an official deadline or not.

Also, when you start focusing only on 10 years (presumably because it is the deadline in the agreement), I think it can't be still regarded as a likely project. A lot of things can happen over that time, both expected an unexpected. So I think that only adds to the skepticism about this going ahead.
i think you may be sliding to the other extreme... just as there was never an actual announcement that it would start "now", there was never an announcement that it would not start for 10 years. the 10 years is simply a sunset period on the agreements that were negotiated with the city. within that window (if it's not extended), the project - as any other - will start when market conditions and financing etc. are favourable.

I’ve seen a lot of things and also heard a lot over the years. Heard some rumoured dates thrown around and heard some promising things from people who work in and around real estate In the city and province. When covid came no one really gave shit about investing into the future, it was about surviving and saving what you’ve already done and how far you’ve come. Companies, people, and the city have been in survival mode for about 2 years. No one gave a shit about figuring out how to build a hotel during the pandemic because there was absolutely no point in trying. Banks were like the school bullies for the past 2 years. People investing in hospitality would go to the bank and come back with a wedgie and all their lunch money stolen. It’s very easy to look at an empty lot and say there’s nothing there. Because it’s 100% right, but also 100% obvious. Instead of seeing nothing built and announcing that nothing was built. Try to understand WHY nothing has been built. I don’t believe it was a lack of trying or even wanting to because why tf wouldn’t you? Like seriously if you were a developer, the lot aldritt owns is like a tiny piece of heaven. If they wanted to scratch the project then they would’ve. You have to see this from the point of view of the family and what they want to leave behind. It would probably be easier to have this exact same project in a few other cities. It’s not about filling the pics of land tho or turning a profit. Obviously as a corporation they want to profit and that’s why they’re taking their time. If profit was their only goal this project would’ve been scratched and they’d be working on other things. It’s not though. They want to leave something behind for the city but also for themselves to look at the skyline and point at a tower and know that when they’re 6ft down in the dirt their legacy is towering over. I’m willing to admit I was wrong about the spring and this project moving forward and I’ll admit I’m wrong again if it get scratched. I won’t give up on it tho cause that’s all too easy. Ups and downs are hard. The goal is the tower but the gift is the journey. I’ll use ice district and the arena as my reference.

If it's "dead" as @David A seems to "suspect" then there isn't much to discuss. (Negativity causes my hip to dislocate)
David A didn't present it as a foregone conclusion that the project is dead. He specifically said, "it may happen eventually." Considering there is no tangible movement on the project and that there hasn't been for quite some time, the will-they-or-won't-they presents some of the best opportunity for discussion.

Problem with building here is the convention centre is too small - Edmonton needs a space 2-3 times as large as what we have now. We are not attracting the largest conventions and trade shows due to the limitations. Something bigger e be built in Ice District Village And add a couple of hotels to it.

Well I don't think there is any desire for another convention facility. City owns both the Convention centre and the Expo center. If we want the Expo center to be more appealing I think they need to connect an LRT station directly to the Expo center.
Anyways, it still would be nice to see this structure move forward, it would be a positive addition to the area.

Well I don't think there is any desire for another convention facility. City owns both the Convention centre and the Expo center. If we want the Expo center to be more appealing I think they need to connect an LRT station directly to the Expo center.
Anyways, it still would be nice to see this structure move forward, it would be a positive addition to the area.
there was a proposal to link the expo centre to the coliseum so they could be operated as a multipurpose convention centre with up to a million square feet. the link would have utilized the existing pedestrian bridge over 118th avenue and been fully enclosed with two levels of space that would have provided a striking focal point for 118th avenue traffic.

lots of adjacent land for hotel and local fine grained as well as destination retail.

lots of open space south of expo hall for large exhibits (combines, tractors, mining equipment etc.) that could also provide a permanent home for k-days etc.

you could also have folded in a street track for indy or formula-e (formula 1 would be a bit of a stretch).

the city wasn’t interested…

you could also have folded in a street track for indy or formula-e (formula 1 would be a bit of a stretch).
Even though it's being built in Edmonton, Badlands Motorsports Resort will provide that when it's built-in Rosebud which will provide something similar to the province. It still would have been nice to see Edmonton have something similar.

I remember seeing this project couple of years ago. I hope it gets built even if it takes a while.

Pop quiz: when was the last time Alldritt erected anything larger than a single family home or a white fence on a high-value piece of land?
It does not mean they can't execute a tower though. It is how astutely a leader of a construction company has been over his/her career. If you have X number of years in the field, so who have you recognized as truly innovative workers to assemble that division. This would be no different than PCL, or Clark Builders.

Back