Calling it right now. Not enough thought was put into running the train down the SPR corridor between West Block and the Brewery District, and not to beat a dead horse, Valley Line West is going to cause major N-S traffic disruptions along it's entire route.

Though this line benefits me directly owning one block from Alex Decoteau Stop, I wish the route had been chosen for more practical civil reasons, and not for redevelopment potential.
I don't know, it doesn't have the same right of way the Capital line does. I imagine it will have some right of way, but then, so will the W-E traffic it is traveling with - it can stop at lights when required. I see it somewhere between what you're seeing on the all-way crossings on Calgary Trail/Gateway and normal traffic lights as opposed to the delays on the Capital line.

Calling it right now. Not enough thought was put into running the train down the SPR corridor between West Block and the Brewery District, and not to beat a dead horse, Valley Line West is going to cause major N-S traffic disruptions along it's entire route.

Though this line benefits me directly owning one block from Alex Decoteau Stop, I wish the route had been chosen for more practical civil reasons, and not for redevelopment potential.
What will really cause traffic is adding thousands of new infill homes and new neighbourhoods outside the henday and not having an LRT. We shouldn't purposefully create traffic unreasonably (metro line...), but traffic can help people choose to live more centrally and not rely on a car.

Id argue the cars will actually be really annoying to the train and will slow it down and make it less ideal than it could have been.

I also believe people are better than they think at finding alternative routes that work well. For example, many are concerned about the E/W traffic on stony, when in reality, 107ave is way better and 102ave from 142st is a great option as well.

And we have such little traffic already even if it got way worse, it'd still be better than most big Canadian cities!

I agree people will probably find alternatives, however more people in the west live south rather than north, so going past Stony Plain Road and north to 107 ave, which I agree is a good route, may not intuitively be their choice.

I agree people will probably find alternatives, however more people in the west live south rather than north, so going past Stony Plain Road and north to 107 ave, which I agree is a good route, may not intuitively be their choice.
For sure. I'm one of those people. I take 156 to 107 lots and sometimes stony still.

I see it as a similar option to everyone taking whitemud to fox drive to head to university or whyte. Same sort of detour thanks to the river valley position.

At least there are two, maybe three, ways to the West End from downtown.
(1) Jasper Avenue, then 102 Avenue to Stony Plain Road.
(2) 104 Avenue/Stony Plain Road
(3) 107 Avenue (which you can take from River Valley Road

I'm thinking that 170 and 178 Street will be popular routes given the overhead LRT..

Last edited:
One thing I miss about the old bridge was this heart with carved into the wood with one persons name it, and the other one aggressively scraped out to a depth of a quarter inch.

You could tell that relationship lasted as long as any concrete along our metro line if ya know what I mean!

I don't know, it doesn't have the same right of way the Capital line does. I imagine it will have some right of way, but then, so will the W-E traffic it is traveling with - it can stop at lights when required. I see it somewhere between what you're seeing on the all-way crossings on Calgary Trail/Gateway and normal traffic lights as opposed to the delays on the Capital line.
What does this mean: all-way crossings on Calgary Trail/Gateway? Is this like the Shiyuba crossing?

Last edited:
From Saturday
DSCN8963.JPG

Back