September ain’t summer fam haha. And June 21 is well into summer. The moving target is tough.

Thanks everyone for sharing pics. Trains look really nice. Landscaping as well is really coming in now with the grass growing and trees planted. When I biked north across tawatina on Saturday, all my friends thought Louise McKinney is looking beautiful.
Summer, formally, is June 21 to Sept 21, give or take a few days

I also asked about power supply. the new line runs at 750V DC, instead of the 600V DC the existing lines (and ERRS fleet, and our former trolleybus system) uses. he was ab it confused as to why our current system ran at 600V DC.
The LRT has been bumped up closer to 670-710V DC, with 750V in the future, possibly once the U-2's are retired.

The LRT staff told me that the Valley Line will open “sometime this summer”, ranging from June 21 to Sept 21, rather than July 29.
I could be wrong, but I think that is the convoluted bureaucratic way of trying to say it may be later than July 29.

Deadlines have moved back so many times, I think they are embarrassed to do it again, so I think they will hang their hat on a vague and generous definition of summer.

Summer, formally, is June 21 to Sept 21, give or take a few days
I guess if we’re going off of calendars and not patterns of city life/weather. I think a lot of people view June-August as summer and “school” is the start of fall. But I guess it doesn’t matter. We still have months to wait it seems :(

I guess if we’re going off of calendars and not patterns of city life/weather. I think a lot of people view June-August as summer and “school” is the start of fall. But I guess it doesn’t matter. We still have months to wait it seems :(
From a project management (and more formal) perspective, they're likely using the calendar, not patterns, because it is unified (and they're not dealing only with Edmontonians, but suppliers and contractors from other places).

But I agree... The agony of waiting and watching grass grow is horrible

A few shots from a walk this past Saturday.

DSCN9885~3.JPGDSCN9883~2.JPGDSCN9884~2 (1).JPGDSCN9878~3.JPGDSCN9881~2.JPGDSCN9873~2.JPGDSCN9865~2.JPGDSCN9807.JPG

We have a civic administration (I don't blame the current councilors yet because they are still fairly new) that has badly bungled almost every major infrastructure project and can't seem to run things well either.

The mayor and councilors need to whip the administration into shape and get things back on track, not just with the Valley Line, hopefully it will be done sometime this summer, but with everything else that has fallen behind and fallen apart.

I realize council has a lot to deal with, but if they fail to take this seriously enough, the voters will in the next election. Everyone is getting very tired of all the delays, excuses and failures.

Yes, we have a City Manager, yet problems persist for whatever reasons.

I believe a big part of the problem was the hands off approach by the last City Council. A different approach is needed.

Yes, we have a City Manager, yet problems persist for whatever reasons.

I believe a big part of the problem was the hands off approach by the last City Council. A different approach is needed.
Part of the blame needs to lie with TransEd, especially if 5-years down the line Valley Line West opens on time, which would show timeliness depends on the contractors as well. From what I've seen / heard from Marigold Partners, they seem to have their stuff together more than TransEd thus far in the project.

From Marigold email updates

As part of the Valley Line West LRT project, a new Operations & Maintenance Facility (OMF) will be built to accommodate Valley Line West light rail vehicles (LRVs). This building will be constructed behind the Gerry Wright Operations & Maintenance Facility on 75 Street and 51 Avenue and will be used to store and maintain the Valley Line West low-floor vehicles.

On or around May 24, 2022, Marigold Infrastructure Partners (MIP) will begin work to create a storage area for construction materials, trailers, and equipment in the area on the east side of the Gerry Wright OMF.

There will be increased traffic to and from the work site. Most of this work will occur during daytime hours (7 a.m. – 9 p.m.), however, occasional overnight work can be expected. The public will be notified ahead of these works.

Construction of the Gerry Wright Operations & Maintenance Facility B is expected to last five to six years.

Back