I think the 34 Avenue train signals are working
[https://mobile.twitter.com/CityofEdmonton?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
Watching the video in this tweet, I see an issue. We've talked on this forum about cars turning right and having to make the adjustment once trains start running. But I believe there's a problem in the engineering.

In the video, the vehicle is turning right in a slip lane. I can't think of any other spot in the city where there's a light on a slip lane. The light is also in an unusual spot. I see all kinds of problems with this intersection in particular.

Wouldn't it have been better to do a normal right hand turn without a slip lane?

I'll guess about two weeks for the traffic intersections plus a month for train testing. Opening date - August 12.

Watching the video in this tweet, I see an issue. We've talked on this forum about cars turning right and having to make the adjustment once trains start running. But I believe there's a problem in the engineering.

In the video, the vehicle is turning right in a slip lane. I can't think of any other spot in the city where there's a light on a slip lane. The light is also in an unusual spot. I see all kinds of problems with this intersection in particular.

Wouldn't it have been better to do a normal right hand turn without a slip lane?
Well if things really go bad I could see them adding arms at all of the right turn lanes.

I can think of at least two more lights in slip lanes on exits off the Whitemud (perhaps not technically a slip lane?), but nothing like the one in the video... hopefully it doesn't cause too many problems, but the driving habits of some in this city do not exactly inspire much confidence.

Too bad the LRT line completion couldn't be given a bit more urgency. Sacred Heart Church was slated to reopen in October, but with the Pope coming to visit the church the completion date has been pushed forward to July 17. If only Trans Ed could be given a reason to commit to a date rather than just leaving it open so they don't have to push.

Back