Are there penalties for the delays on this project? I know other city projects have had those. So frustrating that they're still blaming covid for delays. Seems like there's 0 ability to ever increase speed or make up time from delays in these projects.

Excited to see that the pedestrian bridge will open in November though. And that the connecting trails will stop being blocked 5 years after they were supposed to reopen 🙃

Are there penalties for the delays on this project? I know other city projects have had those. So frustrating that they're still blaming covid for delays. Seems like there's 0 ability to ever increase speed or make up time from delays in these projects.

Excited to see that the pedestrian bridge will open in November though. And that the connecting trails will stop being blocked 5 years after they were supposed to reopen 🙃
There are incentives to be early/on-time in most P3 projects.

Frustrating.

It doesn't make sense to even pause the west LRT. Huge sums have already been spent on planning, effectuation, land amassing, pre-construction and (in some areas) initial construction. Figuratively, the train has left the station. A huge portion of the funding comes from the Feds -- Edmonton needs to keep those funding channels open and active. Not only that, but some developments along the route have been built with more to come as the route becomes active. It would be ABSOLUTE FOLLY to abandon this effort. Politicians supporting a pause should be verbally castigated for playing a so-called populist tune. I am shifting all of my support to Amarjeet Sohi and encouraging everyone to vote for him!

Why? COVID is still very much an issue that many employers are having to juggle. When employees get COVID, they stay in isolation for 10 years (days). If it is a key person on the project, you can't just borrow from elsewhere to plug the hole. You wait for them to return and then continue the work. I imagine that has more or less destroyed the critical path for this project, hence the piecemeal work throughout the project.

You know the clause in your insurance papers that mentions act of God? COVID would probably fall under that - most companies weren't planning for a pandemic and building those contingencies into their project plan, which are done at the outset of a project. In a multi-billion dollar project, too many items have dependencies - once one thing goes off the rails, everything downstream is impacted too. I can't imagine managing a project this large during a pandemic. I definitely emphasize with Transed on managing the delays, many of which they likely don't have much control over.

Last edited:
Edit: don't want to risk getting anyone in trouble.

Last edited:

Back