Thats overly generous, Ottawa added a very impressive new tunnel under its downtown core! Edmonton's is also super impressive and honestly for the high floor lines I get the sense we will see an added focus on grade separation thanks to the Metro Line going forward (can already see that on Capital Line South). It's more expensive but let's you get substantially more capacity out of the expensive existing asset.

No reason that Edmonton couldn't see 90 second headways like SkyTrain, REM in Montreal and the Ontario Line in Toronto in the downtown tunnel someday - but a lot of changes will be needed to get us there!
Good point, I forgot about the tunnel and the three underground stations.

Not sure how we are supposed to believe anything transed has said:
>rock in the river (which somehow delayed the traffic circle by a year)
>thermal forces (the same forces in every concrete structure in Edmonton)
> July news update: everything on schedule
>August update: we found cracks in July (so then why the slow orders and stops in April on those exact pylons?)
>repairing pylons but saying nothing about all the signals wiring being pulled around Bonny Doon
>no answers on why car 1001 was returned to the factory
>why did administration select these contractors for council
>how many members of this administration group are still employed, WHY?
Ottawa seems to have suffered from political interference, Edmonton is suffering from what, Montreal style concrete shennanigans for 1...

I think TransEd has had some workforce shortages in some instances. They'll work on one or two stations at a time or a couple of sections of track, then they'll work with a sense of urgency when fall rolls around.

I was by West Ed over the weekend, and just went back through my photos. They have 5-6 piers up in various states of completion, as well as what I’m guessing is some heavy steel to support formwork for the station itself.
Also, i did some googling. The gantry(?) crane they’re going to use to install the segments was used on the Dubai Metro for their 2016-2021 Red Line extension, the ‘Expolink 2020’ logo is from that.
9B146E94-303B-407C-8EDA-D1DCEEA70848.jpeg33899540-75F8-4977-BB53-D3F08551A6B1.jpegBF01FB63-7F73-464D-BA4A-2AD14E749795.jpeg
Here's Red Line Dubai contractor Gulermak's page on the project, with a photo of the crane as it was used there.
Marigold seems to be moving effectively thus far, hopefully taking notes from transed. Not to discount Marigold's progress, but i do remember this phase going quickly for Transed too; getting the piers up was straightforward (it seemed) and then they stood there for a long while while the viaduct segments were cast. Marigold has said they want viaduct segments up by end of 2022, they may juuuust meet that deadline.
Also, Marigold's site has newer versions of the Line map, with small updates to road lanes, crosswalks, and TPSS locations, on their website. you have to click through the page for each Area, then scroll through the roll images there. These new plans do differ somewhat from the booklet CoE has on their website.

Last edited:
Oh thank goodness they're going with stringing together precast segments this time. Assuming they can get all the piers in place, placement of segments can occur all winter since the pieces are precast off site in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. And yea the gantry crane gets passed around from city to city.

No reason that Edmonton couldn't see 90 second headways like SkyTrain, REM in Montreal and the Ontario Line in Toronto in the downtown tunnel someday - but a lot of changes will be needed to get us there!

Namely automation and I assume full grade separation although I can see automotive self driving technlogy integrated into trains.

Vancouver played with 75 second headways briefly, but there was often congestion at Waterfront. I think with the AM peak short turn trains, they have an average combined 102 second headways and I think that's the most frequent they're willing to go. Combined with the five car trains and Millennium Line extension that will get some passengers off the Commercial-Broadway to Waterfront segment, Vancouver can probably stave off major capacity upgrades until 2040 (station lengthening, triple/quadruple track, parallel line, etc.)

Not sure how we are supposed to believe anything transed has said:
>rock in the river (which somehow delayed the traffic circle by a year)
>thermal forces (the same forces in every concrete structure in Edmonton)
> July news update: everything on schedule
>August update: we found cracks in July (so then why the slow orders and stops in April on those exact pylons?)
>repairing pylons but saying nothing about all the signals wiring being pulled around Bonny Doon
>no answers on why car 1001 was returned to the factory
>why did administration select these contractors for council
>how many members of this administration group are still employed, WHY?
Ottawa seems to have suffered from political interference, Edmonton is suffering from what, Montreal style concrete shennanigans for 1...
If all this is corrrect, there are even delays in announcing the delays. It has degenerated into farce some time ago.

Thats overly generous, Ottawa added a very impressive new tunnel under its downtown core! Edmonton's is also super impressive and honestly for the high floor lines I get the sense we will see an added focus on grade separation thanks to the Metro Line going forward (can already see that on Capital Line South). It's more expensive but let's you get substantially more capacity out of the expensive existing asset.

Unless something gets sorted out with University Ave, you will not see headways anywhere near 90 seconds. I'd be curious how the acceleration rate affects headways too, and additionally, even automatic train operation. Edmonton was close to having the ability to have automatic train operation (driverless) in the tunnel to a degree with CBTC. It sounds like ATO was something that was tacked on over and above the original requirements of the tender.
At this point in time anyways, ETS would need to build up ridership to the point that 5 minute headways with 5 car trains would be needed, and they would have be crush loaded to the point that pass ups frequently before we would really need to figure out how to increase service through the tunnel. Of course, they are already talking about this in the form of a BRT from SE Edmonton to relieve pressure on the SLRT. I'm more so curious how ETS plans to turn trains every 5 minutes at HSS once Metro Line extensions reach the point that frequencies better than 10 minutes are needed.

I'm more so curious how ETS plans to turn trains every 5 minutes at HSS once Metro Line extensions reach the point that frequencies better than 10 minutes are needed.
Interesting problem. Maybe just turn some trains southbound from NAIT into capital line trains and some trains northbound from Century Park into metro line trains as needed.

You can't have all the metro line trains cross University Ave without the intersection failing, but if you turn as many as you can at Health Sciences and only cross when needed to make 5 minute headways it might be doable.

Back