I think this would be a great opportunity for LRT construction on Stony Plain Road. They could do the utilities during the bridge construction.

Most recent maps can be found on Marigold's website. the bridge is in Area 3. The new bridge is shifted slightly to the south, rounding out the 'point' in SPR at the ravine slightly, but the new bridge is still essentially in the same spot as the existing one.
This is just what they're telling the neighbours (so take it as you will) but work will start on the SPR East of the bridge coincident with the bridge closure. The reps that came by my office (I'm along SPR) didn't give a firm scope of work (dunno if the ROW will be completely done beofre the bridge is in, or if just utilities are in, etc), but they said that the bridge was closing in December. They said that when that started, the South side of SPR would be closed and reconstruction work would happen. Quote 'Once the Bridge closes, Stony goes to 2 lanes, and it will never be 4 lanes ever again'. Cue shock and ominous thoughts in this very car-dependent office lol.
1668698511880.png

^ in your opinion how busy is that section of SPR even prior to the LRT construction? Seems to me like 102 and 107 were way better arterials. SPR has always felt like a semi residential detour. Only forseeable issue is left turns

^ in your opinion how busy is that section of SPR even prior to the LRT construction? Seems to me like 102 and 107 were way better arterials. SPR has always felt like a semi residential detour. Only forseeable issue is left turns,
It's hard for me to say. I've been in the area for over 10 years, but most of them have had construction on at least 1 of the 3 Groat Ravine bridges. I can't definitively say what 'normal' is. That being said, since the Epcor work west of the ravine started in 2019(?) (it seems like it's been going on for longer) traffic has been lower than it was pre-LRT. SPR rarely sees both lanes being used outside of rush hour, and even then it's usually the 1 travel lane backing up while the right lane (which has parking in it closer to 124) stays empty. SPR doesn't strike me a big commuter artery. I think that traffic is slowly shifting up to 107. right now, it's pretty much one lane each way anyways.
Pre-LRT it was busier, definitely. I remember both travel lanes being in use decently, with a steady stream of cars in both, not like what we have now. but 107 and 111 were under-utilized (111 is still way quieter than it could be given it has 6 lanes) and i think people were using SPR as a way to shave off a couple blocks going North-South into DT. SPR was an artery at one point, but I think it had more to do with a slight geometric advantage than there being a need for that many lanes across the ravine as a whole system. If that makes any sense.

Back