As much as I like LRT, I wonder if street-level crossings are and impediment to higher-density development.

I think in terms of TOD potential, a grade-separated metro would've probably brought higher concentrations of density per site, similar to Vancouver (but not quite that intense). The urban LRT won't discourage high-density development from happening (it'll still very much promote it, actually), it just might look a bit different.

I think in terms of TOD potential, a grade-separated metro would've probably brought higher concentrations of density per site, similar to Vancouver (but not quite that intense). The urban LRT won't discourage high-density development from happening (it'll still very much promote it, actually), it just might look a bit different.
Yeah instead of tower clusters, what we might get along the Valley Line are more midrise/high density corridors. I personally would love to see more mixed use ground retail along the line because you can actually see it.

We still might get Vancouver level TOD's in Millwoods, Bonnie Doon and Davies but based on how it's essentially a tram, the corridor idea might have more merit and would work much better than anything that Translink has.

Yeah instead of tower clusters, what we might get along the Valley Line are more midrise/high density corridors. I personally would love to see more mixed use ground retail along the line because you can actually see it.

We still might get Vancouver level TOD's in Millwoods, Bonnie Doon and Davies but based on how it's essentially a tram, the corridor idea might have more merit and would work much better than anything that Translink has.
Davies has gotta be 25+ years away imo. I don’t think it’s even in the TOD convo. 20 better sites for TODs with tens of thousands of possible units. Davies being so industrial makes it pretty undesirable imo vs almost all other stops along the line. And we don’t get 8 tower mega redevelopments of large sites all at once here yet. Maybe in a few decades.

I think SPR, meadowlark, misecordia are all way more likely than Davies. Same as strathearn, quarters, BD.

If only Bonnie Doon would move forward with their proposal that one could be a very good TOD.

What makes you think they haven’t their plan is a very long term plan.

The first area of development was being used for LRT staging. I think core samples were being taken in that area within the last year.

I think high rises will be downtown for the foreseeable future. There's zero reason to live in a smaller unit without the inherent amenities of Oliver and Downtown directly outside.

A bunch of Mercury Blocks, and Stationlands style developments are probably the future of Edmonton's TODs.

West Edmonton Mall Station, taken today.
PXL_20240622_184630367.MP.jpg
PXL_20240622_184635305.MP.jpg

Back