Damn Edmonton... Don't know what's more absurd, the total predictability of these collisions or the cope posts...

Seriously, were bad drivers not a 'known known' when this line was planned?

Plenty of talk about crime prevention via environmental design with transit projects, I guess the planners forgot to think about collision prevention too :(

I think we also need crossing arms or some other sort of physical intervention at many of the VLSE crossings. Anything to prevent people from driving into the trains. We will never reach a point where everyone on the road is a competent, attentive driver at all times.

It doesn’t have to be at all crossings, but definitely should be at some crossings. (Yes, the semi may just have blown through the crossing arms in this instance.)

(I also emailed Michael Janz the same suggestion. I’m trying to continue matching my voicing of opinions on SRC with voicing my opinions to those who could potentially have some ability to institute change. Haha.)
The "No right turn on red" signage needs to be displayed more prominently.

Crossing arms and signage are the infrastructure equivalent of a strongly worded letter. If you want a collision proof transit network, then it has to be built as such.

Not saying the drivers involved in these incidents shouldn't be held responsible for their actions, but the piss poor planners should be eating their share of the blame too.

Banish them to the sidewalk replacement division, seems like that would be a good fit for their scope of vision...

I think we also need crossing arms or some other sort of physical intervention at many of the VLSE crossings. Anything to prevent people from driving into the trains. We will never reach a point where everyone on the road is a competent, attentive driver at all times.

It doesn’t have to be at all crossings, but definitely should be at some crossings. (Yes, the semi may just have blown through the crossing arms in this instance.)

(I also emailed Michael Janz the same suggestion. I’m trying to continue matching my voicing of opinions on SRC with voicing my opinions to those who could potentially have some ability to institute change. Haha.)
I think we need a multifaceted approach to this.

This intersection at Whitemud, the one at Roper Road, and the future AH ramp intersections all need less ignorable warnings to stop such as either a crossing gate or a much larger no right on red sign, double red stoplights and flashing train crossing signage.

While the flashing train crossing signage will probably go over like a lead balloon at the 82/Whyte Ave crossings and other future problematic areas on the West leg, the rest is applicable. The addition of speed bumps before the pedestrian crossing in the turning lane might be the answer for non truck route & high pedestrian use zones. Rumble strips on the approach to train crossings might also be helpful though I am fully aware of the problems that both rumble strips and speed bumps cause with winter plowing.

I strongly agree with @Habibfazil & Maclac that we need better driver education, and that testing needs to go back to full provincial control especially for anything beyond a class 5. Though I am of the opinion that retesting at intervals should be required for all drivers’ licenses, none of this “lifetime” crap.

I could see the Transit Union essentially demand crossing arms at the Whitemud, 51st Ave, Roper Rd, and McIntyre Rd intersections. I don't particularly care what the impact on vehicle traffic would be. Protecting occupants from idiots in large vehicles is more important.

The insurance claim on this one today is gonna be big for the trucking company.

I could see the Transit Union essentially demand crossing arms at the Whitemud, 51st Ave, Roper Rd, and McIntyre Rd intersections. I don't particularly care what the impact on vehicle traffic would be. Protecting occupants from idiots in large vehicles is more important.

Yeah I can't imagine the cost today. The size of the crane they had to bring in to right the train was substantial.

They will declare bankruptcy

if the driver is already running a light, larger signs will not help.

thank you for the smart ass reply...

Hardly. More visibility for that "no right turn on red" sign should help.
Well I have an interesting idea, Install two arms across both lanes protecting the tracks, light them up like a van halen concert (no pyro though), timed to the lrt/traffic lights. Arms start to rise at the orange light, up for green, BUT we also install rumble strips up the whitemud/75th off ramp, about 4 sets to wake up people

I could see the Transit Union essentially demand crossing arms at the Whitemud, 51st Ave, Roper Rd, and McIntyre Rd intersections.
As far as I know TransEd isn't unionized. I believe ATU was able to get On Demand unionized however.

Last edited:
Well I have an interesting idea, Install two arms across both lanes protecting the tracks, light them up like a van halen concert (no pyro though), timed to the lrt/traffic lights. Arms start to rise at the orange light, up for green, BUT we also install rumble strips up the whitemud/75th off ramp, about 4 sets to wake up people
This set up is actually used at Southgate for the buses exiting from Southgate on the southside. Not exactly the same thing, but the gates are always down protecting the tracks, except when the buses have a green light. Granted, they aren't lit up at all in fact. No flashing red lights, just the traffic lights, crossing gate and a standard crossbuck.

Back