Why not ban all right hand turns? It's a safty issue across the city. I have almost been hit walking Downtown many times.
That will be a very tough habit for drivers to break.

Maybe the city can launch an exciting new career opportunity to help lower Edmonton's unemployment?

1000004857.jpg

Why not ban all right hand turns? It's a safty issue across the city. I have almost been hit walking Downtown many times.
Unfortunately that's provincial level and there is no way the UCP is going to agree to it. However vastly increasing the number of NO-Right-on-Red lights across the city where there are no slip lanes present might help in the longer run. Not nearly as cost effective as a law change to No Right on Red due to the cost of all the signage and upgrades to lights but the city can only due so much.

It may not be time just yet, but I hope some time soon the city bites the bullet and admits that no crossing arms at intersections was a failure. Put away the pride and just fix the problem
From what I understand its actually the delay to drivers that they don't want. Avoiding the dead time at intersections that drivers have to wait for the arms to drop before the train comes and then waiting for them to raise after the train leaves was a big motivator for this style of intersection. Now, I think Edmonton drivers have proven they aren't smart enough to deserve that so arms must be considered.

There’s this new advocacy group called Edmonton Transit Riders, which has spoken in City Council in the past about things like fare gates. I’ll be checking them out at their launch party in October and seeing if there will be opportunities to voice our desire for boom gates at intersections south of Davies Station. Maybe they’ll give it a platform in front of City Hall.
The chair of ETR seems to have a plan under consideration for crossing arms.

I'd recommend a speed limit sign for the off-ramp on Whitemud, to encourage drivers to slow down. Also, it might be useful to add LED "No right turn" signs, either at before the tracks, or before the right turns leading to the tracks.

I’d be fine with more peace officers ready to fine people on Valley Line (and other) no right turn on red areas. Easy cash right there. Essentially an idiot tax.

Trains collided with vehicles at least 18 times since the line opened Nov. 4, new data provided by the city shows. Pedestrians and cyclists were struck by a train, or ran into the train themselves, five times since it opened to riders. Trains were derailed by collisions with motor vehicles at least twice.

The city isn’t considering any safety changes right now. Coun. Salvador said she will be asking about additional signage.

Last edited:
From what I understand its actually the delay to drivers that they don't want. Avoiding the dead time at intersections that drivers have to wait for the arms to drop before the train comes and then waiting for them to raise after the train leaves was a big motivator for this style of intersection. Now, I think Edmonton drivers have proven they aren't smart enough to deserve that so arms must be considered.
Is there a reason we can't have the arms come down later and go up sooner? I'm imagining some weird ancient law about railway crossings or something?
If the arm starts dropping the moment the light turns yellow, and is able to start going up a few seconds before the light would turn green I would think it'd be fine, wouldn't have much impact. It'd be different if these crossings weren't already signalized, but they all are and so we just need to synchronize the arms with the lights that already exist.

Is there a reason we can't have the arms come down later and go up sooner? I'm imagining some weird ancient law about railway crossings or something?
If the arm starts dropping the moment the light turns yellow, and is able to start going up a few seconds before the light would turn green I would think it'd be fine, wouldn't have much impact. It'd be different if these crossings weren't already signalized, but they all are and so we just need to synchronize the arms with the lights that already exist.
There are federal standards that determine how much times gates have to be active before the arrival of a train, but I don't believe they would apply for Valley Line. Again, as I noted earlier we have once example in Edmonton where a gates operates this way, but for a bus only road.
I do believe in the Project Agreement there was the option to use crossing gates at Whitemud Drive and maybe another location or two, and I believe for the WLRT the option existed for the Anthony Henday as that was under Provincial jurisdiction, the Province might have required them.

In other countries, low floor trams run through the centre of pedestrian squares and people and drivers seem to be able to figure it out. That said, I do wonder if we need to give the LRT the same Vision Zero treatment as roads. If people can't make good choices, amend the infrastructure to reduce the likelihood of injury or death.

For posterities sake I went and dug up the relevant details from the VLSE and VLW Project Agreements.
VLSE- Called for TransEd to do a Hazard Analysis of each grade crossing in accordance with the Safety and Security Certification Program and Good Industry Practice and to provide "automatic grade crossing warning systems" if hazards couldn't be mitigated with existing mitigation measures and the permitted Traffic Control Devices.
If automatic grade crossing warning systems aren't required, TransEd is to ensure that there is necessary clearances for future installation of a grade crossing warning system at: McIntyre Road, Roper Road, 51 Ave, Whitemud Drive Westbound and Eastbound ramps.
https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/defau...T Schedule 5 Part 6 Systems.pdf?cb=1727397242 Page 6-34

VLW- No need to do a Hazard Analysis. All that needs to be provided is clearance to install a future grade crossing warning system at: Lewis Farms P&R gravel parking area access, Anthony Henday Northbound and Southbound ramps. There is then details on what needs to be installed noting that it could be required by the City or Alberta Transportation. That's where I assume it is Alberta Transportation who could turn around and tell the City to installed a grade crossing warning system at the Henday.
https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/defau...le5_Part_6_Systems_Redacted.pdf?cb=1727402643 Page 6-67

In other countries, low floor trams run through the centre of pedestrian squares and people and drivers seem to be able to figure it out. That said, I do wonder if we need to give the LRT the same Vision Zero treatment as roads. If people can't make good choices, amend the infrastructure to reduce the likelihood of injury or death.
There are so many people here that are self entitled enough to put themselves ahead of an LRT train, hence the accidents.

Back