That’s a fair and sound perspective.

I just see it differently. I’ve lived in 22-24 different communities across the country in the past 6 years and one thing I have recognized is that it’s almost natural for communities to compare themselves against one another. Courtenay builds boardwalks that it compares to Campbell River’s. Surrey develops a downtown that it compares to Burnaby. Vancouver compares its skyline as being another Hong Kong. Ucluelet claims it has its own beaches that are like “Ukies Long Beach” (a Tofino beach).
Edmonton tosses comparables of its features out kinda all over the place trying to market itself too.

I see it as less of a pissing match, and just a way of saying “go look at this place, it’s pretty sweet”. And it’s definitely a common thread seen AT LEAST across different Western Canadian communities.
i'm not going to disagree with the comparisons you note or with their validity but i don't think the apply to comparison they made here. each and every one of those comparisons is made hoping people will come and see for themselves and confident that if they do they won't be disappointed. courtenay's boardwalks can hold their own with campbell river's. the same can be said for surrey's downtown and burnaby's, vancouver's skyline vs hong kong, ucluelet's beach vs tofino's. that's why they make the comparison. anyone visiting danzer's folly expecting it to rival or hold its own compared to english bay is going to say wtf were they thinking? that's the silly part. danzer's folly is a wonderful example of what it is and responding to some of it's shortcomings will make it a better one. that's what we need to learn how to brag about. what was done here was like saying stony plain's glen hall arena block is just like edmonton's ice district and rogers place or scotiabank arena in the south core area of toronto. it's just not. it might be a great little arena and a stalwart part of the fabric of stony plain and that's what should be bragged about.

Sorry what exactly is "Danzer's Folly" ?

there was a master plan (mets) that included a west freeway (the jasper freeway), an east freeway (98 Avenue), a northwest freeway, a northeast freeway, a south centre freeway along 109 Street and a southeast freeway among others. fragments of them got completed (james macdonald bridge, pieces of 109 street and 97 street etc.) but never connected. this hill was part of an anticipated interchange. it’s called danzer’s folly in honour of the plan’s author.

there was a master plan (mets) that included a west freeway (the jasper freeway), an east freeway (98 Avenue), a northwest freeway, a northeast freeway, a south centre freeway along 109 Street and a southeast freeway among others. fragments of them got completed (james macdonald bridge, pieces of 109 street and 97 street etc.) but never connected. this hill was part of an anticipated interchange. it’s called danzer’s folly in honour of the plan’s author.

I can't emphasize enough how grateful I'll forever be for this never having being built. If our Downtown suffers today, this would've been the complete demise of it.

under the Walterdale Bridge

20211008_165849.jpg

So permission has been granted to use the Queen Elizabeth Park hill (The Knoll for Walterdale Bridge) and Park for The Baby Walter Cyclocross event Sat and Sun. The event starts at 10am both days and the elites go after 1:30. This event is a test event to show that the venue can host the National Championships in a couple of years. which may correspond with a World Cup or Pan-American championship as well.

If you don't know Cyclocross this is a good event to catch. Cyclocross is a combination of road biking and mountain bike type courses a bit of steeplechase and roller derby. Races are no more than 45 min to an hour. Very twisty turny, off camber hill turns steep climbs that you need to run up. And in good years a lot of beer and cowbells.

Its one of the few sports that heckling is encouraged. most of the Tour de Frances leaders this year are CX ridings. we currently have one local rider racing the WC schedule but this event there will be about 6 or 7 riders that have raced in Europe and the World Championships.

So permission has been granted to use the Queen Elizabeth Park hill (The Knoll for Walterdale Bridge) and Park for The Baby Walter Cyclocross event Sat and Sun. The event starts at 10am both days and the elites go after 1:30. This event is a test event to show that the venue can host the National Championships in a couple of years. which may correspond with a World Cup or Pan-American championship as well.

If you don't know Cyclocross this is a good event to catch. Cyclocross is a combination of road biking and mountain bike type courses a bit of steeplechase and roller derby. Races are no more than 45 min to an hour. Very twisty turny, off camber hill turns steep climbs that you need to run up. And in good years a lot of beer and cowbells.

Its one of the few sports that heckling is encouraged. most of the Tour de Frances leaders this year are CX ridings. we currently have one local rider racing the WC schedule but this event there will be about 6 or 7 riders that have raced in Europe and the World Championships.
do you have a link to the event for more info? sounds awesome

do you have a link to the event for more info? sounds awesome
Have to go onto FB and Alberta CX. I will see if I can upload the Tech. To bad there is no beer tent this time. withC19 it hampers things. but most races are quite the party. The last few years we have had night racing and those are quite fun, flaming logs are a feature.

When I drove across the Walterdale Bridge this weekend, it reminded me that the City should have built this as a 2-way bridge.
Another missed opportunity if you ask me.

Why? 105st is one way until 100 ave. The bridge itself has two one-way roads feeding right into it. The time to have made the Walterdale a two way bridge was probably 50 years ago.

105 St should have been changed to 2 way as well as one of either QE Park Road or Walterdale Hill Road.

Back