What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
west-block-condo-complex-formerly-glenora-skyline-on-stony.jpeg

Delay-plagued Edmonton Glenora condo project could see sales by June
An Edmonton eyesore may soon be no more.

Concept drawings of an urban plaza with shops and condos are just part of a request coming before council next month to rezone land on the corner of 142 Street and Stony Plain Road known as the West Block project.

“For the first year and a half I was on council, I got a lot of emails, people upset about the eyesore on 142 and Stony,” Coun. Scott McKeen said Wednesday.

Formerly called the Glenora Skyline, the site’s foundations are the only visible work since 2014 when the company behind it underwent “restructuring and financing.”

Last year, local developer InHouse, a division of Beaverbrook Developments, went through the court process to take over the project and hope an approved application to rezone the land next month will allow it to start selling units in the spring for in the newly imagined West Block condos.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Attachments

• west-block-condo-complex-formerly-glenora-skyline-on-stony.jpeg
    west-block-condo-complex-formerly-glenora-skyline-on-stony.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,764
14-19-edm-condo-sislam.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

New developer redesigns Edmonton condo tower, covers down payments
The new developer of the former Glenora Skyline condo tower project says it covered 10 investors’ down payments after the previous developer went under.

“We felt it was an act of goodwill and good corporate citizenry. People who made an investment into a project deserved to have their funds after the ordeal they went through,” said Salima Kheraj, principal at InHouse, the new developer that took over the project, located on 142 Street and Stony Plain Road, last year.

Creating goodwill in the community is top of mind for Kheraj as new designs for the condo project — now called West Block — are submitted to council for rezoning approval in mid-March.

The new designs incorporate three towers and a commercial building that will house cafés, restaurants and shops. InHouse has also added a square, arranged the space to integrate with a future Valley Line LRT stop, and created family-style townhouses to the rear of the site.

Full Story (Metro Edmonton)

Attachments

• 14-19-edm-condo-sislam.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    14-19-edm-condo-sislam.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,615
Edmonton city council approves new towers for failed Glenora Skyline site
Three new slender towers were approved Monday for the failed Glenora Skyline site on Stony Plain Road, putting up to 550 units 80 metres away from a future LRT stop.

The new towers will be higher and have more units than the contentious proposal that stalled in 2011, but they’ll be thinner and pushed to the corners of the site. The former developer got approval for 270 units in 2008, but went bankrupt with only two floors of concrete poured. The site has been an eyesore for years.

In-House, a division of Beaverbrook Developments, is planning shops, restaurants, condos and office space on the 1.4-hectare site. Towers will be 45 metres, 60 metres and 90 metres high. The tower placement will block the north wind and create a warm, sun-filled pocket for a public urban square, said Simon O’Byrne, consultant for developer.

“We’re locating the plaza in a sun trap,” he said. “The community is excited about it because it’s clamouring for more shops and retail places.”

David Staples: Generous developer comes to the aid of 'screwed' condo buyers
When local businessman George Cantalini bought out the failed Glenora Skyline condo project in 2015, he discovered something unexpected.

The Glenora Skyline Development Corp. had stopped construction in 2014 of the planned four-tower residential development. The company left the eyesore of a messy, partially built condo tower on 142 Street and Stony Plain Road. It also couldn’t pay its debts to numerous suppliers, contractors and condo buyers.

Most of the buyers had used their own lawyers to put their deposits in trust, so they were covered, but seven condo buyers who had paid a total of $850,000 failed to do so. They paid their money straight to Glenora Skyline. That money was long gone.

One such buyer, Chelsea Hawrelak, 28, had put down $48,000 on a $325,000 unit. Her dad George, 59, a local car salesman, had handled the deal on his daughter’s first home purchase. He was told the deposit was going into a trust, but never made sure. “I blame myself for not placing the money in the proper place,” George says. “I should have been smarter, but I wasn’t.”

After construction stopped, there was constant chatter about some new investor about to save the project. Hawrelak gave up hope. “That was awful. I didn’t think we were getting anything,” he says. “I thought, ‘We’re screwed.’ ”

In 2015, Cantalini’s company bought the mortgages on the property, foreclosed on the mortgages, and settled with the suppliers and contractors. But the seven buyers, including Chelsea Hawrelak, weren’t entitled to anything. Their deal and their quarrel was with the old owner, not him.

Cantalini decided to give them all their money back.

Back