8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've often wondered, why doesn't Edward Street between Yonge and University have any traffic lights? Seems like a no-brainer. Is there any plan to install any? There should be some at Bay, Elizabeth, and University.

Last edited:
I would imagine it's considered too close to Dundas, wouldn't want to interrupt traffic flow on the 40kmph highways

Edward and Bay is always a fun one to watch. Very hectic. Wonder if a better scenario would be to omit through traffic at that intersection.

I've often wondered, why doesn't Edward Street between Yonge and University have any traffic lights? Seems like a no-brainer. Is there any plan to install any? There should be some at Bay, Elizabeth, and University.

As suggested above, the distance to Dundas would almost certainly violate the typical warrants used for traffic lights; and typically I find cross-traffic quite low.

If there is demonstrated traffic safety issue; probably better to preclude left-turns, and if necessary through traffic, using a curb/barrier design.

As suggested above, the distance to Dundas would almost certainly violate the typical warrants used for traffic lights; and typically I find cross-traffic quite low.

If there is demonstrated traffic safety issue; probably better to preclude left-turns, and if necessary through traffic, using a curb/barrier design.

I've worked in the area for years, and often walk along/cross Edward Street. It's chaotic and stressful. There really need to be lights - inconveniencing drivers should not be a factor. Safety for pedestrians should be the top priority, especially since many more people live in the area than before, and this will only increase dramatically. Just sync the lights with those on Dundas to ensure proper flow.

Since the Yonge-Dundas intersection doesn't allow turns, they can make the Edward to Dundas Square stretch of Yonge into one giant "pedestrian crossing".
The same can be done on Dundas from Yonge to Victoria. Westbound streetcar stop can move to far-side.

Since the Yonge-Dundas intersection doesn't allow turns, they can make the Edward to Dundas Square stretch of Yonge into one giant "pedestrian crossing".
The same can be done on Dundas from Yonge to Victoria. Westbound streetcar stop can move to far-side.
There's talks of pedestrianizing College to Queen(?), so this'd solve the issue for this stretch. Hopefully it actually happens.

Back