Giving the fact the subway system is under the control of the province and Ford pet thing, not surprise the subway line lives. As for extending the 4 car trains to 6/7 cars has to due with the new fleet that has to be order to replace the T1. The TR will be move to line 2 and the extra cars has to order to have full 6 car trains for the line.

The extra cars have to be order soon so the 4 cars can become 6 cars to allow the end walls in the stations be remove so the platform can be fully open. Not much to be done to have full platforms other than the removal of the end wall that I know of. It will require relocating the signals first as it will take time to do it with a new signal post.

By increasing the 4 to 6 cars allows existing headways to remain as there will be extra capacity with the longer trains.
Isn't the plan for the new fleet to have it run on Line 2, while Line 1 still keeps the TRs?

Isn't the plan for the new fleet to have it run on Line 2, while Line 1 still keeps the TRs?
The thought was to have a full 500' train as a 7 car train for line 1 since it has higher ridership than line 2.

Line 2 gets the line 1 trains as new fleet are order.

The thought was to have a full 500' train as a 7 car train for line 1 since it has higher ridership than line 2.

The TTC proposes acquisition of hundreds of new and replacement vehicles over the coming years:
  • From 13 to 60 new streetcars from Bombardier to be delivered between 2023 and 2025.
  • Approximately 300 hybrid-electric buses for one or both of the two qualified suppliers to be delivered between 2022 and 2023.
  • Pending outcome of technical evaluation and product comparison work now underway, approximately 300 all-electric long-range buses in 2023 to 2025.
  • 70 Wheel-Trans buses for delivery in 2022 and 2023.
  • 80 subway trains to replace the existing fleet now used on Line 2 and to provide for future service improvement with ATC (automatic train control).
Did TTC announce that they're making a change of plans?

I'll believe it when it happens and not when someone posts about it as there have been way too many people on here talking about how they want it to happen I don't see it happening until they are actually ordered and in testing.

Everything the TTC has publicly said about the new subway fleet suggests that they are too be used on line 2. It is also stated on the TTC website the new trains are to "replace those currently used on Line 2 and will also help meet growth in ridership on Line 1." Unless I'm missing something it seems they've made their intentions pretty clear.

The opening day peak forecasts for EC LRT were in the range of 5,500 to 7,500. Definitely below 10,000. Might be greater in the west now, with EW LRT being fully grade separated.

A failure? Definitely not. Sheppard subway had a peak of 5,500 pre-Covid. TYSSE is about same as Sheppard, or less. SSE forecast is up to 14,000 (east of Kennedy), but I think it is a bit exaggerated, 11,000 - 12,000 is more likely. And SSE is a trunk line for a huge suburb with a large population. So, 7,000 is a decent load.

The section east of Yonge will be very well used, but don't forget that it will have 3 transfer points: Yonge, Science Centre, and Kennedy. That means, riders will come and go. Unlike many existing bus routes, where the riders keep piling up until the bus reaches the ultimate destination at Yonge or at Bloor. Furthermore, a fair number of ECLRT riders will travel counter-peak, for example from Brentcliffe to Ontario Line in the AM peak. That kind of usage pattern results in a high total number of boardings, but a modest peak load.

I think these forecasts are wrong. I think rapid transit (and yes trams) along Eglinton will substantially boost demand, and actually think the opening day operations will be very tight given the few doors present on the trains relative to a subway. Science Centre won't be a relief valve for a decade until OL opens. What I *wish* we did is split the line at SciCen and fully grade separated the western section while isolating the east for more capacity.

Oh joy... Line 2 gets the hand-me-downs again.

As others mentioned, plans are for L2 to get new trains for full fleet with additional trains going to support the TR fleet on L1

Anyone have a time frame for when construction is expected to start?
Already started with the prep work, dated July 13, 2021.

From link.

The team has started prepping the launch shaft site at Renforth, which include installing safety fencing and signage, setting up works zones and delivering equipment and drill rigs.

It’s expected that the tunnel boring machines will arrive on site early next year, where they will be assembled and then launched sometime in the spring.

Anyone have a time frame for when construction is expected to start?

I think *technically* it already has but it's mostly prep work

boring the tunnels starts next spring/summer and I don't think there's been a contract awarded to anyone to do the stations/elevated track yet

edit: the expectation is completion will be around 2030.

Already started with the prep work, dated July 13, 2021.

From link.
Thank you
I think *technically* it already has but it's mostly prep work

boring the tunnels starts next spring/summer and I don't think there's been a contract awarded to anyone to do the stations/elevated track yet

edit: the expectation is completion will be around 2030.
Can't believe it will take 8 years of actual construction for just a short section

Back