outoftheice

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Aarhus
We got an info package in the mail on Friday about the land use redesignation for 606 Confluence Way. This is the lot that is along the Riverwalk directly west of the Simmons Building. If I'm looking at the sketch right it will be 17 metres in height. I thought I'd mention a few details that were included in the letter from the architects...

EV606 is a boldly playful and energetic 6 story mixed used development
Totally 4800 square metres, the project will contribute 44 residential rental units and 2 sizeable ground floor commercial rental units...
Adhering to the strict shadow requirements of the Riverwalk EV606 takes the form of a stepped 4 storey box extending overnight 2 storey mass in an inverted podium-like manner. The ground floor sees further articulation through the chamfering of corners, creating collonade-like pockets of exterior space. The building's massing has further been stamped out +- 750mm, or projected over the the public right of way along both Confluence Way and Riverfront Ave beginning at the 3rd floor
*Note this 750mm of space over the public realm is the reason for the land use redesignation
In response to the construction of the neighbouring Simmons Building, EV606 receives a full wrapping of brick in a same-but-different approach. The monolithic use of masonry provides the building with weight and presence, similar to its neighbour, while the lighter tone and playfully glazed pattern adds contemporary panache and contextual contrast to the facades. A switch to fully glazed brick on the lower mass allows for subtle plays of light and reflection to occur while presenting an understated contrast from the rough brick finish on the upper floors. The ground floor has additionally been allocated generous, full height glazing for maximum visual access and transparency from the street to the commercial space beyond while floors 2 through 6 have an undulating array of punch windows that compliment the the masonry patterning and help break down the overall building massing.

Any renders included in your pamphlet?
No renders sadly. Just a basic sketch of the form with some measurements.

20211122_104317.jpg

So by the looks of it, this site next to the Simmons will be developed by Alston Properties out of Winnipeg. Based on their website they seem to be a rental company with properties in Winnipeg, Calgary and Victoria. Seems like they have quite the eclectic group of properties with a few older buildings here in Calgary. This looks like it might be their first new build so could be good, could be crap. I've got faith CMLC will set the bar fairly high for design provided the developer doesn't play the bait and switch.

The brick pattern reminds me of what you'd see inside a french bistro. I like how it will contrast from both the Simmons Building and the building to the east of Simmons. I also like how it will activate the mews between Simmons and this development.

As much as I like the open plaza feeling just east of the M2 building, I wish there was more of a continuation of retail spaces along the pathway. Starting from this building and going east, there could have been some really nice retail frontage along the pathway.

Image2.jpg

And if I'm being honest, maybe the duck pond isn't the best use of that prime riverfront pathway. Maybe continued retail/mixed use even further east could have worked better?
Image8.jpg

As much as I like the open plaza feeling just east of the M2 building, I wish there was more of a continuation of retail spaces along the pathway. Starting from this building and going east, there could have been some really nice retail frontage along the pathway.

And if I'm being honest, maybe the duck pond isn't the best use of that prime riverfront pathway. Maybe continued retail/mixed use even further east could have worked better?
I would be okay with that. The best part about EV is the riverfront area, and another retail block or two could be a game changer. I also agree about the pond it doesn't get used from what I've seen, and is a kind of a waste for such prime location. A mixed use or retail building would be 100 times more useful.

Back