News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was looking for a spot to post the below; and couldn't find it, so this is a catch-all for info about/photos on any billboard in UT's area, or any policy affecting same.

I've placed this thread here as Billboards are 'structures', and so seem to fit this section of the forum best.

Now to the below.......I've known Dave Meslin, who some of you may be familiar with for a long time. Now most well known for his advocacy for electoral reform and other improvements to 'democratic systems'...
Dave and I first encountered one another during the early years of The Toronto Public Space Committee. Which, still exists, and has a web page here: https://www.publicspace.ca/

At any rate, one long time campaign has been to rid the City of illegal billboards (those without any valid permit) .

Below is his post to Facebook of a video showing 'intervention' involving two such billboards.

A still pic of the offending billboards, via Streetview:

1635627656131.png

This is Bathurst, just north of Davenport

The fascinating and lengthy tale of how we got to that video.....can be found here, at Spacing......... https://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/06/...YsOD5H2B_ldiLB5xiEuwT3nOKBPNn3ASKFrkLLn73O7SQ

As a note to the above.....Spacing, a favourite publication of many here, started as a project of the Public Space Committee........

Last edited:
I've got to to admit that's not what I was expecting. When I read "illegal" I was expecting something less substantial and professional - like some 2x4s nailed to a tree advertising Bob's Landscaping. Outfront Media seems to be a major player in outdoor marketing. Has the city just stopped caring? It seems the MTO has.

I've got to to admit that's not what I was expecting. When I read "illegal" I was expecting something less substantial and professional - like some 2x4s nailed to a tree advertising Bob's Landscaping. Outfront Media seems to be a major player in outdoor marketing. Has the city just stopped caring? It seems the MTO has.

The railways (Metrolinx included) have been putting up big digital billboards on their properties next to 400-series highways. They can get away with it as they're federally regulated.

Back