News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

1928 fashions-Mrs. Lindbergh (Charles' mother)-with flowers
1928 fashions-Mrs. Lindbergh (Charles' mother)-with flowers.jpg

Attachments

• 1928 fashions-Mrs. Lindbergh (Charles' mother)-with flowers.jpg
    1928 fashions-Mrs. Lindbergh (Charles' mother)-with flowers.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 596
That's very interesting. Are the other 10 totem poles still in their original locations? Have you contacted Ontario Place Corporation about Ontario's totem?

Not very many, actually. Most of the ones remaining in their original locations are in the West - Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Northwest Territories and Ottawa's haven't been moved. I think the Yukon's is in its original spot too but I haven't confirmed if it is a '71 totem yet. Nova Scotia's started rotting so they put it in a nearby provincial park to decay "traditionally." PEI moved its totem to a courtyard in an art gallery a few years ago. New Brunswick and Quebec have removed theirs temporarily due to construction and Quebec is planning to return it after they finish work. That just leaves me with Ontario and Newfoundland's that I haven't found.

Good idea re. Ontario Place Corp, I hadn't thought to try them.

Queen's Hotel (built 1843)......Front St.........1912
Queen's Hotel 1912.jpg

The Queen's Hotel was demolished shortly after this 1927 photo - to be replaced by the Royal York Hotel.
Queen's Hotel Front Street 1927.jpg

Attachments

• Queen's Hotel 1912.jpg
    Queen's Hotel 1912.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 619
  • Queen's Hotel Front Street 1927.jpg
    Queen's Hotel Front Street 1927.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Not very many, actually. Most of the ones remaining in their original locations are in the West - Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Northwest Territories and Ottawa's haven't been moved. I think the Yukon's is in its original spot too but I haven't confirmed if it is a '71 totem yet. Nova Scotia's started rotting so they put it in a nearby provincial park to decay "traditionally." PEI moved its totem to a courtyard in an art gallery a few years ago. New Brunswick and Quebec have removed theirs temporarily due to construction and Quebec is planning to return it after they finish work. That just leaves me with Ontario and Newfoundland's that I haven't found.

Good idea re. Ontario Place Corp, I hadn't thought to try them.

Let us know.

Victor H. Roos (April 26, 1888 - October 6, 1964) was an American founder of several aircraft companies, including Cessna Aircraft.
Roos aviation party.....1927
Roos aviation party 1927.jpg

Attachments

• Roos aviation party 1927.jpg
    Roos aviation party 1927.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 605
Three dapper gents (Massey, Phillips, King) in 1927
Hon. Vincent Massey - Hon. Wm Phillips - Hon. W. L. M. King at Varsity centenary 1927.jpg

Attachments

• Hon. Vincent Massey - Hon. Wm Phillips - Hon. W. L. M. King at Varsity centenary 1927.jpg
    Hon. Vincent Massey - Hon. Wm Phillips - Hon. W. L. M. King at Varsity centenary 1927.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 548
Here are a couple of other views of it- 1912 and 1913 respectively:
POSTCARD+-+TORONTO+-+EXHIBITION+-+MANUFACTURERS'+BUILDING+-+CROWD+-+NICE+-+1912.jpg

http://chuckmanothercollectionvolume4.blogspot.ca

pictures-r-2662.jpg

(torontopubliclibrary.ca)

It looks like it's probably allegorical statuary to me- representing manufacturing or industry, much like the figures on the Prince's Gates which were commissioned in the 20's. The figure has it's chest bared and appears to be working some sort of apparatus so unlikely it is meant to be anyone in particular, although the sculptor would typically use a model.

Why did they change from "Manufacturers" to "Manufactures", I wonder...

Why did they change from "Manufacturers" to "Manufactures", I wonder...

It may have been the reverse, Manufactures to Manufacturers, since that's the name I recall in the 1940s.

"Three dapper gents (Massey, Phillips, King) in 1927"
Prof Goldie.

Phillips, Lieut-Colonel W E, DSO, MC.
Founder and President, Duplate Safety Glass Co of Canada, 1922.

Regards,
J T

"Three dapper gents (Massey, Phillips, King) in 1927"
Prof Goldie.

Phillips, Lieut-Colonel W E, DSO, MC.
Founder and President, Duplate Safety Glass Co of Canada, 1922.

Regards,
J T

Thanks JT........I had assumed it was William Phillips, who was appointed American Ambassador to Canada in 1927.

Wow! That's a wonderful site........although some of the locations are in need of correction.
Nice to see that there's an option to make such corrections........I've already contributed 3 or 4.
However, I wonder if that new site makes this UT site obsolete ???
Time will tell!
I don’t think so at all, the conversations here are much too interesting!

Back