News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

TTC track installation upon Toronto Harbour landfill, 1927......three images
Rail installation on landfill (Bay Street south extension to waterfront) 1927 CTA,jpg.jpg

Bay, looking N.  1927  CTA.jpg

Queen's Quay 1927  CTA.jpg

This building demolition site was photographed 30, maybe 40 years ago, and I have no recollection of the location in downtown Toronto.
However, I recently traced the name of the safe's manufacturer to Goldie & McCulloch, Galt Ont.
Hmmmm, that's an odd name!

vault in Toronto bldg. demolition c.1990?.jpg

Goldie & McCullogh Co., Galt.jpg

I think I recall it mentioned being about 50, maybe a bit more, years ago, on the W part of the TD Centre block (don't know whether Rossin House or something else)

The Earl of Athlone (Alexander Cambridge); Governor-General of Canada at St. Andrew's college 1941 TPL
The Earl of Athlone (Alexander Cambridge); Governor-General of Canada at St. Andrew's college ...jpg

Varsity Stadium Rock Concert 1973 TPL........."social distancing," what's that?
Varsity Stadium Rock Concert 1973 TPL.jpg

Varsity Stadium Rock Concert 1973 TPL
View attachment 246124

It's a shame that all the school stadiums are going to the wayside. I went to Birchmount Park Collegiate in high school and some of the best times growing up in Scarborough were the Birchmount Track and Field competitions. When I was in high school we did all our outdoor gym classes in the stadium.

Those were the days.

Motor-polo Matches at the CNE Grandstand 1923 TPL.
View attachment 199890
"Auto Polo, a wild and wacky game starting with the new passenger cars of the time being stripped down to four wheels, a front seat, a gas tank and not much else. While one man drove, and tried not to pile into the other cars in the game, another stood on the running board with a mallet and attempted to whack a ball between two goal posts."
Interesting to read and see that auto racing at the CNE grounds began in 1900 and continued through the Barney Oldfield and Gaston Chevrolet eras,
http://www.canadianracingarchives.com/thumbnails.php?album=30#.XsLkn2hKhRZ

and there was regular weekly stock car racing there through the 1950s up until 1966, that would routinely attract crowds of 15,000 or more.
It was only two years later in 1968 that John F. Bassett and George Eaton proposed the idea of an IndyCar race at the CNE on a temporary circuit, although that and a similar proposal in 1977 to have the Cdn GP F1 race both failed to materialize, before the first Molson Indy occurred in 1986, two months after Bassett died.
CNE-1968-track-layout-500px.jpg

Last edited:
We used to go to the 'Stocks' at CNE and Pinecrest. A buddy built and ran his own car at Pinecrest and later at Sunset for a number of years. I crewed for him a few times. A couple of us also had a short-lived stint running a car at Cayuga (drag racing). All in the days before hearing protection.

Back