News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Sunnyside 1957 looking W. along Lake Shore Blvd. TPL
This photo appears to show the start of demolition of the roller-coaster & merry-go-round in a once-thriving amusement area.

Sunnyside 1957 looking W. along Lake Shore Blvd. TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Sunnyside 1957 looking W. along Lake Shore Blvd. TPL.jpg
    Sunnyside 1957 looking W. along Lake Shore Blvd. TPL.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 685
East York 1953 - East York Collegiate at upper-left ........TPL
Cosburn Ave. and O'Connor Dr. running E & W......
View attachment 158058
the street east west south of oconnor would be plains road.... and it appears that loblaws was just demolished a couple years ago as the LCBO...BTW, this is my backyard, so I love this picture...

Last edited:
Thanks for that correction, Koolgreen.
I should have known since that's also "my backyard" ........ I went to EYCI.

Toronto harbour c.1930 looking W. from corner of Esplanade & Berkeley St. TPL
Toronto harbour c.1930 looking W. from corner of Esplanade & Berkeley St. TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto harbour c.1930 looking W. from corner of Esplanade & Berkeley St. TPL.jpg
    Toronto harbour c.1930 looking W. from corner of Esplanade & Berkeley St. TPL.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 658
Lansdowne School manual training class 1915 Ont. Jewish Archives

Lansdowne School manual training class 1915   Ont. Jewish Archives.jpg

Attachments

• Lansdowne School manual training class 1915   Ont. Jewish Archives.jpg
    Lansdowne School manual training class 1915 Ont. Jewish Archives.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 663
I was there about 66 years ago........who can remember accurately after all that time?
my dad opened his store on coxwell in 1957.....61 years ago.....In this picture, the row of stores north of the loblaws has not even been built yet....
He is of your vintage and still hanging in there......

my dad opened his store on coxwell in 1957.....61 years ago.....In this picture, the row of stores north of the loblaws has not even been built yet....
He is of your vintage and still hanging in there......
Do you have a photo of "Dad's" store to post here?

Not a very good picture, but I am scrounging for more......Taken circa 1968 from in front of Fent's Variety..Looking north on the east side of Coxwell.....Our store is just barely visible beside the cleaners.....Cathay Foods,

D554C2AD-E6F2-4B09-8C4E-AD0DD160BF8D.png

Attachments

• D554C2AD-E6F2-4B09-8C4E-AD0DD160BF8D.png
    D554C2AD-E6F2-4B09-8C4E-AD0DD160BF8D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 941
Last edited:
I often reflect on the fact that some of us never, when we're young, think of taking photographs that will some day be of historical interest.
There are many photos that I wish I'd taken in mid-twentieth century.

unquestionably.....but even the thought of a roll of film for 24 shots is mind boggling considering I can take 24 shots as easily as blinking and see the results instantly now....I still have two enlargers hidden away in the basement from first the sixties and a newer model from the seventies....quite a hobby back then in high school....

I often reflect on the fact that some of us never, when we're young, think of taking photographs that will some day be of historical interest.
There are many photos that I wish I'd taken in mid-twentieth century.

In the days of film cameras, taking a photograph was expensive and time-consuming. 35 mm (135) film format had a maximum of 36 exposures (usually, could squeeze in a couple more if you load the camera in complete darkness). Most amateur camera users usually had 12 or 24 exposures.

See link.

film-format-chart-thedarkroom-w1650.jpg

With film cameras and their cost of film plus processing time, you wanted every shot to count, which probably us better photographers. I've forgotten most of it now but back then I had a fairly intuitive understanding of the impacts of aperture and shutter speed

When we were young, we probably had a poor sense of history and legacy. Taking a decent picture was a little more involved than it is today. While our (older) generation can be faulted, I have a drawer of photos passed down to me from the early half of the last century and even the latter half of 19th; B&W stiff, severe-looking people and I have no idea who they are because nobody had the foresight to write on the back. Grrrr.

Back