News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Canadian newsreel cameraman, Roy Tash films one of the winning families in Toronto's "Great Stork Derby" of 1936.
John Nagle is filmed with nine of his ten eligible children.
His wife, Kathleen Nagle, was one of four winners who received $125,000 each.
Where is she, you ask?........maybe off somewhere delivering another......who knows?

Toronto's Great Stork Derby 1936 TPL.jpg

Toronto Public Library Archives

Canadian newsreel cameraman, Roy Tash films one of the winning families in Toronto's "Great Stork Derby" of 1936.
John Nagle is filmed with nine of his ten eligible children.
His wife, Kathleen Nagle, was one of four winners who received $125,000 each.
Where is she, you ask?........maybe off somewhere delivering another......who knows?

View attachment 168939
Toronto Public Library Archives

Or dead.

Her work here was done. Not hard to believe back then that the birthin' of multiple babies was considered its own reward. She was probably off scrubbing floors or doing hand laundry for this brood.

Morris Melamed, proprietor-Ontario Dry Goods & Dresses Co. at his Spadina Street shop with his two daughters c.1920 TPL

Morris Melamed, proprietor-Ontario Dry Goods & Dresses Co. at his Spadina Street shop with his...jpg

Political Water Fight
William Kunstler in action against Edmund Burke Society spokesman Paul Fromm at U.ofT. 1970 TPL

William Kunstler in action against Edmund Burke Society spokesman Paul Fromm at U.ofT. 1970 TPL.jpg

I've heard of "cookie-cutter" homes and these are good examples.
An East York community in 1953, between Plains Rd. (at left), O'Connor Dr. ( at right) and Coxwell (stores at top).
At extreme left are the grounds of East York Collegiate Institute.........I was probably in attendance that day!

EY %22cookie-cutter%22 homes 1953 TPL.jpg

this was my backyard goldie...
do you remember Hershey's, the drive tavern? mama josies along that stretch....Loblaws has long disappeared and of course scotts chicken villa.....

Some autos of the day (1923) at the R.G.Long Building on King St. TPL
Note: number above the door (243) is puzzling........city directory (and TPL caption) indicates 727-733 King St. W.

Autos in 1923 at the R.G.Long Building on King St. TPL.jpg

Last edited:
I may be mistaken; but was this King & Yonge, right before the Royal Bank building was built on the corner?

Underpinning foundations, usually to increase basement headroom, can go really bad really quickly if they are not done correctly. The exact same thing happened to the house next door to a friend.

Back