News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If I recall the contamination resulted from the dumping of wastes from painting luminous paint on aircraft instrument dials in the 1940s.

Yes, Geoblog, the radioactive paint (containing radium) for luminous aircraft instruments (during WWII) was in use by a company in downtown Toronto.
However, the waste material was disposed of in Scarborough farmland.

Here's a report by "Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management Office," (a Federal Gov't office)...............http://www.llrwmo.org/en/programs/historic/scarborough.html

Scarborough, Ontario, The Malvern Remedial Project:

The historic wastes in Scarborough, Toronto, which contain the naturally radioactive element radium, arose from radium-recovery operations and other activities that took place on a farm in the mid-1940s. The McClure Crescent area in Scarborough was developed in the mid-1970s without knowledge of the history of the site.
In 1980, radium contamination was discovered on McClure Crescent. Additional contamination was discovered at nearby McLevin Avenue in April 1990.
The Malvern Remedial Project, a joint Canada-Ontario project, was established to complete the cleanup in the Malvern area. Radium-contaminated soil was removed from more than 60 residential and commercial properties at McClure Crescent and McLevin Avenue in 1995. With the assistance of the community, a proposal was developed to excavate the soil and take it to a soil-sorting and interim storage site on Passmore Avenue in an industrial section of Scarborough where it was sorted. The licensable portion of the low-level radioactive waste was transferred to a storage building at Chalk River, Ontario, operated for the LLRWMO by AECL. The mildly contaminated soils (about 9 000 cubic metres) resulting from the soil-sorting process were placed in an engineered storage mound at Passmore Avenue and landscaped to blend in with the surrounding land.

Yes, Geoblog, the radioactive paint (containing radium) for luminous aircraft instruments (during WWII) was in use by a company in downtown Toronto.
However, the waste material was disposed of in Scarborough farmland.

Here's a report by "Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management Office," (a Federal Gov't office)...............http://www.llrwmo.org/en/programs/historic/scarborough.html

Scarborough, Ontario, The Malvern Remedial Project:

The historic wastes in Scarborough, Toronto, which contain the naturally radioactive element radium, arose from radium-recovery operations and other activities that took place on a farm in the mid-1940s. The McClure Crescent area in Scarborough was developed in the mid-1970s without knowledge of the history of the site.
In 1980, radium contamination was discovered on McClure Crescent. Additional contamination was discovered at nearby McLevin Avenue in April 1990.
The Malvern Remedial Project, a joint Canada-Ontario project, was established to complete the cleanup in the Malvern area. Radium-contaminated soil was removed from more than 60 residential and commercial properties at McClure Crescent and McLevin Avenue in 1995. With the assistance of the community, a proposal was developed to excavate the soil and take it to a soil-sorting and interim storage site on Passmore Avenue in an industrial section of Scarborough where it was sorted. The licensable portion of the low-level radioactive waste was transferred to a storage building at Chalk River, Ontario, operated for the LLRWMO by AECL. The mildly contaminated soils (about 9 000 cubic metres) resulting from the soil-sorting process were placed in an engineered storage mound at Passmore Avenue and landscaped to blend in with the surrounding land.

Discovered in 1980 and "fixed" in the 1995. Rather slow to have it taken care of. Now is there where I say "Bitch, Please, I grew up in Port Hope"? :) They are still cleaning out radioactive material and only now working on building the permanent storage location.

A couple of interesting items from a 1907 publication........
-Don Valley brick Works.....history
-Advertisment....City Hall clock & bells

The Canadian Architect and Builder, Jan-1907.jpg

Ad in The Canadian Architect and Builder publication January, 1907.jpg

Those engines seem quite puny compared to present-day plant power. Still, it was a considerable investment in those days. The mixture of types and manufacturers suggests no consistent buying policy over the previous decade, and a rapid turnover of stationary engineers. Those guys tended to be wedded to one technology or another. They seem to be improvising. Most brickmaking in Toronto at that time fired with wood, usually softwood brought in by the carload from Northern Ontario. The finer quality items, the terra cottas and glazed bricks should be coal fired.

I tried to get the “Toronto brick” in the 80’s and was told it was impossible, when we were building a house near Guelph. Apparently you can get it now in Toronto again. I loved the texture.
25A58C1F-E319-42BB-A8F8-4AEF0180757D.png

Almost that time again!
Here' the program for The Dominion and Industrial Exhibition (now CNE) 1887............General admission 25 cents!

C.N.E., Programme cover, 1887  TPL.jpg

If I recall the contamination resulted from the dumping of wastes from painting luminous paint on aircraft instrument dials in the 1940s.
i remember as a kid in the seventies I bought a bottle of green glow paint for building model kits etc...i spilt some on the sofa and there was a patch of glow for years when the lights were turned off...I wonder if there was any radioactivity in that paint???? I even can remember the smell of that paint....

First "Movies" in Canada
The Toronto premiere of the Lumiere device in 1896 at the exhibition grounds during what was then called the Toronto Industrial Exhibition, later the Canadian National Exhibition.

Cinematographe at Toronto Industrial Ex 1896.jpg

What are now trade shows, conventions, comic-cons, auto shows, etc. used to be part of the Canadian National Exhibition. With them going on their own, they reduced the draw that the CNE had.

LADS OF "THE WARD"-CANADIANS ALL, OF MANY NATIONALITIES-IN IMPROMPTU PARADE TO HEAD-SPLITTING ACCOMPANIMENT ON ELIZABETH STREET PLAYGROUND 1922 TPL

LADS OF %22THE WARD%22-CANADIANS ALL, OF MANY NATIONALITIES-IN IMPROMPTU PARADE TO HEAD-SPLITT...jpg

Back