News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

And men's suits were usually wool. Easy to understand when it was the norm of the day. Looks for any photo of a crowd at MLG from the 1950s into the early 60s - all hats, suits and dresses.

Just goes to show how repressive society was in those days. Conform or be cast out! Thank heavens we've relaxed over time.

Just goes to show how repressive society was in those days. Conform or be cast out! Thank heavens we've relaxed over time.
Indeed, we dress more comfortably today, however conformity is still the rule, especially among the young (peer pressure?).
......Running shoes, jeans, T-shirt and a baseball cap!

20130114-Uniforms-Drivers.jpg

From link.

The hats for the TTC motormen looked like copies of a military hats of the times.

It's always a moving target. No doubt the "oppressive" style of dress in the '40s and '50s would have seemed scandalous compared to, say, around the turn of last century.

Those were the typical 'official hat' of the era and I bet these were made in same factories which had been turning out army hats a few years earlier.

And to an admittedly lesser degree, still are; airline pilots, police, etc.

Anybody remember the archetypal gas station attendant of the day, Murray Westgate?
(Wiki image)

1580148461281.png

Queen St. N. side looking W. 1896 CTA
View attachment 227757

I like the look better then than now!

Cobblestone, brick walls, the stairs (admittedly not accessible, but nice visual)

Though I notice the railings are ugly as @#$#; clearly a Toronto tradition dating back at least 134 years. Also needs elegant lamp posts for a finished look!

Last edited:
And again: on the right side, what *might* be Royal York Hotel construction (all those thin spiky verticals)
Yes, it was under construction at that time.........completed about 1930.

Back