News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yonge St., looking north from Queen St. c.1950

Yonge St., looking north c.1950.jpg

I'm trying to figure out when that was relative to subway construction--are those planks on Yonge? (And did they reinstall streetcar tracks for the duration? That must have borne a lot of dead weight)

I'm trying to figure out when that was relative to subway construction--are those planks on Yonge? (And did they reinstall streetcar tracks for the duration? That must have borne a lot of dead weight)

That is during the subway construction. If you look at the bottom right in the picture you will see cement trucks pouring concrete down below.

Yonge St., looking north from Queen St. c.1950

View attachment 262227

Before my time.........LOL

But.....Looking at that; apologies to the Eaton Centre, whose interior I mostly like, even if it has been watered down a bit.............

But could we not have kept those facades..............and if not..............can't we recreate them now..........

TEC's exterior on Yonge is a hopeless mess.

A closer view of planking and streetcar tracks, 1949
View attachment 262258

The Eglinton LRT construction would have seen such planks as well, if they didn't tunnel between the stations. As it is, the planks were used at some of the Eglinton LRT stations.

That is also why the Yonge subway shifted to the side north of Carlton Street, and along most of Bloor and Danforth, to avoid using the planks.

Before my time as well but I do recall planking at Yonge-Sheppard and possibly Yonge-Eglinton during the extension. I remember them to be greasy during the winter. My B-in-L was a Metro bike cop back when the used to install sidecars and ride year-round. They hated planking.

Definitely planking on the northward Yonge extension--and IIRC discernable in some of the 1972-vintage photos posted hereabouts (though I *could* be wrong)

I just found it interesting with lower Yonge because it had to accomodate temporary streetcar tracks as well.

Head Tax certificate - Chin Ng 1918 TPL
Head Tax certificate - Chin Ng 1918  TPL.jpg

Chin Ng paid $500 head tax when he landed in Canada in 1918. With the intent to discourage Chinese immigration, a $50 head tax was introduced in 1885. People of Chinese descent were the only group subject to this tax, which was raised to $100 in 1900 and to $500 in 1903. At the time, $500 would buy two houses in Canada.

V.J. Day celebration parade in Toronto in 1945. The banner reads "Mulan cong jun, China's first woman soldier in 667 A.D." TPL
The building in the background appears to be the University Avenue Armories.
V.J. Day celebration parade in Toronto in 1945. The banner reads %22Mulan cong jun, China's fi...jpg

Exhibitions - Japan - Osaka (World's Fair) 1970....TPL

This enthusiastic group of passengers appear to have plenty of air-power for a flight.

Exhibitions - Japan - Osaka (World's Fair) 1970.jpg

Back