8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Toronto picnics in 1924 & 1930

Chinese picnic 1924.jpg

Shaw & Begg picnic 1930.jpg

Does anybody remember an underground “theatre” on the east side of Yonge, south of Bloor in 1970? It was in the basement of the building. I believe the building occupied a street corner. I watched the film Altamonte with the Rolling Stone’s disastrous concert, there.
I'm wondering if you are referring to the location of the current CAA Theater (formerly New Yorker) or would that be too large of a venue? It wasn't huge though in terms of theaters as it was originally built as a residence but it's just south of Bloor and on the east side of Yonge. I was lucky enough to catch a live performance of the Ramones there once.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if you are referring to the location of the current CAA Theater (formerly New Yorker) or would that be too large of a venue? It wasn't huge though in terms of theaters as it was originally built as a residence but it's just south of Bloor and on the east side of Yonge. I was lucky enough to catch a live performance of the Ramones there once.
I think he means the cinema at Yonge and Bloor kind of under The Bay. The Plaza Theatres.

Back