News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Sears Building under construction (late 60's as the building opened in 1971). WZMH Architects.View attachment 346349
Sears and Eaton's both had a mail order department. When they existed, they used printed catalogs. Customers would make orders by mail or telephone, to have them delivered by their own trucks.

If they had continued, they would have been perfect to transition over to on-line selling. They would be competition to Amazon and other on-line stores. Too bad.

I wonder how long this unique, old apartment building at 219 Jarvis St. will remain.
218 Jarvis St.jpg

I walk past here often as I work up the street.

The whole area is being gentrified and I don't think many of the old buildings will remain.

I'm starting to wonder about Seaton House as well actually. It was slated to be torn down and rebuilt however with all the condos going up, there has been alot of opposition to shelters remaining in the area.

The problem is safety. I work at Jarvis and Dundas managing a condo. We get alot of homeless using drugs in front of our building or in our lobby washroom.

We have also had residents stopped and assaulted by mentally disturbed homeless people.

Anyway to get back on topic, I don't think you will see many older buildings remain in this area.

When I was boinking my ex in 2006, she lived at 88 Mutual. That area had so many older buildings that have long since been torn down and turned into condos.

I wonder how long this unique, old apartment building at 219 Jarvis St. will remain.
View attachment 346476
215 -219 Jarvis are some of the earliest buildings on Jarvis (1863), along with 207-213 Jarvis, and have been on the Inventory of Heritage Properties since 1977 (listed). They were renovated by Eberhard Zeidler in the 1970's and hopefully are still owned by the Zeidler family, which should ensure their preservation.

I wonder how many passersby, seeing these "Golden Arches," would enter while seeking a Big Mac.

Golden Arches.jpg

Workmen posing by the rail car they built for the use of the Prince of Wales during an official visit. 1860 TPL
Royal Train 1860.jpg
1860 TPL

My apologies for posting a bit off-topic, however this may (or may not) be of interest to someone on this thread.

I have two copies of the “December 1991 Metro Briefing for Member of Council”. This is a complete outline of the structure of the Metropolitan Toronto Government at the time, and the issues that could arise during the council’s tenure. It’s also a complete rundown of the services, locations, telephone numbers. etc., provided by Metro

I realize that this Briefing is 30 years old and describes a level of government that no longer exists. Does anybody want these? Or, should I just put them in to recycling?

A suggestion regarding historical City documents, MattB:
If you contact the City of Toronto Archives (there's a web site), you may find that "Metro Briefing" is already available in the Archives
........or, they may request your copies for the Archive.
It's possible that you may receive a "charitable donation" receipt for such a donation (particularly, if it's a rare document).
Good Luck!

Back