News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This appears to be the same location as above (31 years later)
Toronto & York Radial Railway, power house 1951, Yonge St. W side near Wilson Ave.

View attachment 413794
Correct location, but Wilson wouldn't exist until the early 1970's. This was the same time that York Mills Rd was re-reouted North. The building is gone in this photo, but the transformer station remains.
Yonge and York Mills Rd.jpg
tspa_0115298f.jpg

I guess what’s LOST here... is an interest in the game. Back when football mattered in T-Dot. 1983 Argos Grey Cup - Bay Street parade.

Argos-GreyCup-parade-1983-72dpi.jpg

Not so much LOST as MOVED (to CIBC Square). ;)

Commerce Court
CommerceCourt-1st-ever-pic.jpg

^ Personal note: this is my very first photo shot with my very first (decent) camera:
MINOLTA 35mm SLR with 1. full Program (auto shutter speed and aperture), 2. Shutter-priority and 3. Aperture-priority options.

Point and shoot... I was in love.

Attachments

• CommerceCourt-1st-ever-pic.jpg
    CommerceCourt-1st-ever-pic.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 75
Wow. The Eaton Centre really sucked the life and character out of the west side of Yonge, what an absolutely gorgeous streetscape. I suppose a lot of those buildings had already been replaced by the Eaton's Annex, but the latter still had a lot more character than the current Yonge Street facade of the Eaton Centre. And then there's that double balconied building to the left. One's mind certainly imagines an alternate timeline where we preserved all these buildings.

I have fond memories of watching the Jays play there with my dad from 80 to 84. Saw game 6 of playoffs with my brother in 85 when they lost to the Royals. I still have the program and ticket stub somewhere.

When I was at the ex yesterday with my wife and little one I was telling my wife about the old stadium and the marker in the parking lot signifying the location of home plate in the old stadium.

"Surrounded by gloomy warehouses, Holy Trinity Church will be the centre of a bright square of shops..."

140177.jpg

Holy Trinity and surrounding Eaton's Annex buildings 3/9/1971. I find the caption from the TPL archive to be a fascinating insight into the way old buildings were perceived during this era of destruction. Interestingly it's paralled nowadays by the general sentinment towards 1970s Brutalist and modern architecture.

Now, as much as I wish some of the old Annex remained, even nowadays I see the case for demolishing the largest building as it completely isolates the church from the surrounding area. Trinity Square is a lovely little space that reconnected the church to the surrounding area (would be even lovelier if the fountain was restored).

Back