8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is of course the Frank Lloyd Wright masterpiece for Edgar Kaufman Sr., the department store magnate.

Exterior pictures only. They don't allow interior photography.

Driving time from Toronto with no waiting at US Customs, two gas breaks and a 1/2 hour lunch break: 8.5 hours.

The place is breathtaking...

DSC_2358.jpg

DSC_2334.jpg

DSC_2339.jpg

DSC_2344.jpg

DSC_2342.jpg

DSC_2341.jpg

DSC_2343.jpg

DSC_2345.jpg

DSC_2354.jpg

Someone has posted a site of interior pictures here.

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/fallingwater_interior.htm

I think it's a disaster of shoddy materials, splashy planning and an interior that flat-out does not work and is a freezing fog-bath in the bargain. One of Wright's very few forays into the lookit-me style now the prevalent trend.

I hear it's collapsing into its silly waterfall. Good riddance--it really is a blot on a great oeuvre.

I think it's a disaster of shoddy materials, splashy planning and an interior that flat-out does not work and is a freezing fog-bath in the bargain. One of Wright's very few forays into the lookit-me style now the prevalent trend.

I hear it's collapsing into its silly waterfall. Good riddance--it really is a blot on a great oeuvre.

It's funny ... Kaufman Sr. nicknamed it "Rising Damp". :)

And those "balconies" (my word) have been reconstructed in the early 90s; no danger of collapse.

As far as the "lookit-me" style is concerned; those with the resources since the Egyptian Kings of Thebes have built homes to outdo each other and impress the plebes.

What are the complaints about the interior? It's quite nice. The views alone and the way the windows are arranged so you cannot see either ground or sky make it remarkable. You might think it's shit from the photos but as anyone that's been there can attest, it feels extremely comfortable and relaxing. The materials aren't shoddy at all either, it was state of the art at the time. That's just a moronic comment.

Just ran across this thread. Fallingwater is one of those buildings that you really have to go see to "get." It's an amazing place--you hear the waterfall thoughout the house. It was also meant as a summer house, not so much an all-season thing, and it's wonderfully pleasant and peaceful in summer (both times I've been have been in August).

Mustapha, take the in-depth tour next time. Interior photography IS allowed on that tour, and I have pics to prove it.

Anyone been keeping up with the Martin house restoration in Buffalo?

Mustapha, take the in-depth tour next time. Interior photography IS allowed on that tour, and I have pics to prove it.

Thanks FAC33,

In-depth tour - check, will do it.

"Pics to prove it" - prove it. :)

DSC_2344.jpg

Mother and Child II by Jacques Lipchitz, cast in a series of seven bronzes in 1945. The AGO loaned their one to the COC last season - it sat on the second-floor landing at the Four Seasons Centre. The previous year, they exhibited Henry Moore's Warrior with Shield, and this season they've got that Rodin.

Back