• Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

AJX

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Why not have one for the Beltline? I've only included buildings already built. 3 choices allowed.

Colors and Kahanoff Expansion (Decidedly Jazz) are my Favorites along with these two smaller projects.

Image15.jpg
Image14.jpg

Attachments

• Image15.jpg
    Image15.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 471
  • Image14.jpg
    Image14.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 470
Kahanoff expansion and Colours. That new reno of the Biscuit block deserves mention.

There was a day ~2008 when I was walking down 1st St SW after being away from Calgary for a few years, and the sun was reflecting off the podium of Colours such that a rainbow of parallelograms stretched across the road. It was the first time I thought to myself that Calgary is really changing for the better, and perhaps it was what got me interested in skyscrapers, skyscraperpage, and urban design design in our city.

I don't know if I can pick a favourite, but I might have to pick Colours for being a flagship of change, DJD for the integration of its use, a dozen low rises and historic buildings for their character, Place 10 for covering the tracks, 6th & Tenth for overall design, and Mount Royal Village for its anticipated effect on the community. I really like some of the plain, clean designs we've seen like Calla, Drake, and Amble/Maple. I'm also a fan of the modern walk-ups like Uno, Tribeca, and Ten.

I voted Colors, because IMO it raised the bar for residential architecture.

@Rlucky, I had that same feeling when seeing Colors in person the first time. It felt like Calgary had joined the big leagues.

Back