News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Given that we seemingly have no bylaw enforcement in this city, who’s going to enforce this new bylaw?
these guys they have not worked since the 90's, The Racoons 😅🤣😂
Screenshot_20230324-015357.jpg

another stupid overreach by city government.. NYC did the same. laughable to enforce. a waste of time and money by city

You mean feeding rats?
Both Fox and Eastern Grey squirrels are on average larger than rats. All squirrel species have thick, bushy tails, whereas rat tails are scaly, thin, and hairless.

The bodies of rats are long and tube-shaped, and their snouts are blunt. Rats also have relatively small, hairless ears and their fur can be brown, gray, black, or even white in color. Lastly, rats possess hairless hands and feet. On the other hand, squirrels have larger ears, brown and grey fur color, hair on their feet, and relatively bigger eyes.

I have people in my neighbourhood leaving food (typically bread) out for wildlife. I suspect it is most eaten by rats.

You should not be feeding wildlife.

... the worst pigeon repellent ever at the Crossways. Pretty much sums up the Crossways experience
View attachment 430121
There is a pigeon problem around this intersection. I had thought they just gathered there for no apparent reason, but a couple of times in the last few months I happened to see a very elderly-looking guy tossing food to them. They flock around him, with some landing on top of his head and shoulders, even before he can get the bag with the food open.
Not far away I also saw pieces of bread being tossed out of an apartment window into an alleyway, with a few pigeons and House Sparrows there to eat some of it, but also have seen rats there at night.

^^ And bread is the worst thing to feed birds, particularly in the winter. It is of low nutritional value to them and fills them up so they may not seek out more suitable food sources.

I hope anybody that feeds mammals and rodents understands the concept of food chain and predation. Even feeding birds, which we do, can attract both domestic and wild predators and turn your backyard into a target rich environment.

I'd specifically outlaw feeding pigeons. Put the violators in jail.

another stupid overreach by city government.. NYC did the same. laughable to enforce. a waste of time and money by city

How exactly could that be "waste of money" if the city isn't allocating sources to enforce it? And no, that's not what outreach is.

It does specifically allow bird feeders.
https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2022.EC31.5
No person shall feed or attempt to feed wildlife, or permit the feeding of wildlife on their property, except:
v. A person feeding songbirds as follows:
a. the food intended for the songbirds is placed in a bird feeding device that is sufficiently above grade so as to not attract or be accessible to wildlife;​
b. the bird feeding device is located on private property, and the property owner or occupant has given permission for the installation and use of the bird feeding device;​
c. any food spilled from the bird feeding device is removed in a timely manner such that it does not attract other wildlife; and​
d.the bird feeding device is kept in sanitary condition and in good working order.​
Stovepipe baffles can be used to deter raccoons, cats, mice, rats, and squirrels, from bird feeders (or eating the eggs or nestlings in nestboxes).
bird_feeders.jpg

https://feederwatch.org/learn/feeding-birds/
... Even feeding birds, which we do, can attract both domestic and wild predators and turn your backyard into a target rich environment.
The Canadian Wildlife Federation encourages feeding birds.

Last edited:
Ya, this isn't going to stop us from feeding squirrels.
Technology has your number, Picard.
Squirrels=Rats with good PR.
Tree rats. But there is a cure available to Canadians.
Demo vid for those interested.

Last edited:

Back